ANY ONE KNOW ? 4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Answer: Yes, it can be done. However you'd be a fool to attempt it. You'd be much better off to sell your 4x2 and then buy the 4x4.

Possible but not worth the time, effort, and cost. Best way to go if you're serious is to forgo the factory style 4x4 and put a solid axle* in the front and cut the floor for a manual shift transfer case.

* 76-77 Bronco D44, late-model Jeep Cherokee D30, aftermarket D44 for Jeep are the same bolt pattern and correct width.

But again, it's not worth it. Sell your Trac and buy a 4x4 model.

Thanks for the response's, My Sport Trac Been Paid for for 10 years, I love it. I was willing to spend some money for the up grade, but nobody in Jacksonville is willing to attempt the job. 4x4 ST are hard to find.

I agree with the others.....The cost would be excessive and you would be better off just buying a 4X4 and selling the 4X2. A good used 4x4 would be so much cheaper than converting your 4x2 and you have the benefit of being able to sell your 4x2 to offset much of the cost of the 4x4

...Rich

Pete said:
4x4 ST are hard to find.

Only in the South. Try eBay. Up here there are almost no 4x2 Explorers and Tracs. Four months a year here a 4x2 truck is as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you find a 4x4 on eBay or Craigslist, plan on picking the vehicle up in person and payment will be made after your inspection and that it is as advertised. Personally, I would never bid or pay for a vehicle without seeing or driving it.

...Rich

Rich, we all do that with NEW cars, why do people still do it with used cars is beyond me !!!

Todd Z

just buy the manual transmission and a stick! :) seriously though didn't somebody on the site, a few years back do this conversion? ....was it done on Jade??????

I was very close to buying all the parts from a wrecked 4wd I found to convert my 1st gen. you would need the front axle with matching gear ratio, front and rear driveshafts, spindles, cv's, transmission and transfer case. My plan was to use a manual transfer case like the BW4406 so that I didn't have to mess with wiring harness conversions. I think it could be done in a weekend and also be done for 1000 - 1500 if you are able to do all the work and can piece it all together. In the end I didn't do it because I started looking at the second gen's and decided i would just trade up when i found one I liked..

Latest posts