Any intrest in a lower balljoint replacement project?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
Well, at 150,000 miles, the Explorer needs new balljoints. I am not sure if it needs uppers or lowers, but I am going to replace the lowers tomorrow. I could see which one needs replaced, but since winter is on its way, I would rether replace them both now than having to do one in the cold.

Any intrest in a project?

Also, who do I send the project to?

Tom

Tom,

There is a new "email us" section on the left hand side of the screen, click it and it breaks into three categories, one of them being project submissions.

Thanks Olaf. The website still shows it is part of ZJS Technology, Inc. So I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you very much for that information. I never thought it would have been there.

Tom

I got the balljoints and will be renting the tool tomorrow.

Should be a nice write-up.

Tom

Tom,

Yes please do. We did Paul's lowers a couple of months ago and just wanted to get the job done so we never took pics. A Project would be nice..

Thank you

Todd Z

Todd,

A few questions for you. Did you remove the lower A-Arm or did you do it while it was still on the truck?

When my brother and myself did his, we took the torsion bars off. I do not plan on doing that.

Tom

Tom,

No we left the lower arm in the truck, but if I remember correctly we did pop the spindle off the upper ball joint by removing the bolt that basically clamps the spindle to the upper ball joint. We also changed my outer tie rods that day and it made it easier to have them off as well. It took a little finagling with the tool to find the right angle, but once we got the right angle on it they came out with no problem. Good luck tomorrow. There is no need to remove the torsion bars. Also an email was sent to you Tom.

Paul H

It was cold today, mid 40's, and rain.

We did the drivers side. Will do the passenger side tomorrow.

Got a few pics, but there are plenty I forgot to get. I should get those tomorrow.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

Chad,

I left the Lower arm on. If I took the arm off, a press is not needed.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts