Any gym goers?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Everhart

Reaction score
Ok so after gaining 45lbs going from a labor job to an office job.. I want to take it off again.

So I went down to the gym and signed up. All I got to say I could buy a damn twinkie factory for the cost of the initial gym membership.

I havent been to the gym in probably about 2 years. Before, I worked a labor job, and hit the gym 5 days a week, and did some sort of activity on other days. I really want to get back to being weighing 240, with a 34 pants size. My goal weight is 210 to 220. I'm stocky, even when I was skinny, I never looked skinny. Not that I'm complaining hehe

I have no idea for workout routine. I use to do 30-40 mins of cardio and then some weight training. I'm clueless of what I should do and on what days. I plan on going 5 days a week, my first goal is weight loss, my 2nd is to build the muscle again. I dont want to build the muscle first, while I know that more muscle means more weight loss, I dont want to look bigger than I already adm.

Anybody have any workout routines or tips? I'm WAY out of shape, I'm gonna start with cardio, and have a heart attack, but oh well.

Take it easy at first. I used to go to the gym three days a week. The company I used to work for paid for a membership to any gym of my choice. They started sending me out of town working 12 hrs a day 7 days a week and when I was at home, I just didn't have time to go. I ended up quitting out of frustration.

So far I have lost 30 lbs in the past few months and I feel great. I started on the Atkins diet and I have more energy then ever. I went off the diet at the LAP meet and hated every minute of it. I could not wait to get home to get back on the diet. I sleep at night better and I don't fall asleep on my chair on the weekends. I work afternoons so I am up until 2 to 3 AM every day. I know it was the carbs that caused my energy levels to drop on the weekends.

The first week on the Atkins diet was murder. I craved sugar so bad I just couldn't stand it. I can't tell you how bad I wanted to cheat. Now, I prefer a steak over a potato and a hard boiled egg over an ice cream cone.

Hopefully, I can loose another 30 LBS before my wedding in september. If I can get to that point, I will be happy.

Tom

I did a low Atkins diet for about a year and in the first months I lost 30 also. First week is always the Hardest, the sugar cravings give you a headache. I went off of it and gained it all back. Its kind of a life thing, but its not so bad, because you can eat all the meat you want!. I think ima get back on it, but do it small.

Boodro

First off, start slow....any injury will throw you off your weight loss(experience talking).

what I started doing is figuring what I will do before I go into the gym. Gotta have a plan.

You try to rotate the muscle groups for example:

Arms and shoulders on Monday

Back and chest on Tuesday

Legs and abs on Wednesday,

then repeat.

Go to the gym and locate all the machines that pertain to the certain muscle group( the machine usually will have a diagram that shows what muscle will be used). So you will know exactly where you need to go once you finish a workout, you immediately go to the next machine, keep up the pace(that is part of the cardio) and work all the machines in which group you wish to work out. the workout should last no longer than 45 minutes,(excluding treadmills and bikes) the longer workouts are actually detrimental to the weight loss. The name of the game is do what you have to do then leave. You need to go for more rep at a lower weight to *cut and tone*. for example at the Ab crunch, you do 50 pounds weight sets and you do 20 or 25 reps each set and do 3 or 4 sets on each machine. Go light and many reps is what you need to do. then you gotta hit the treadmill or the exercise bike, the cardio is where it is, that is where you will actually do the weight loss. what I do for a quide is I eat a *lean quisene or a *healthy choice* what ever is cheaper as far as frozen entree's goes for my supper. the calorie count is normally 290 to 320 depending on the type of meal. When you use the treadmill or the bike, they will usually have a screen where you enter the information of your weight, type of exercise and duration of the workout. My goal is for me to match or exceed the the calorie intake by my supper. Depending on the intensity, that will usually take 30 to 45 minutes. Start slow until you know what you can handle. I also watch calories, I don't deprive myself of any food(except chocolate or sweets) and this is the toughie....give up caffeine and soda's. I drink water( a lot of it) and occasionally lemonade. Don't starve yourself...the human body is set up for *grazing* not 3 large meals. the secret is to eat smaller portions and more meals...rather then 3 large meals. you eat 5 smaller meals. if you insist on eating 3 meals, the body gets set up into *famine mode* and starts hoarding especially fat and your metabolism slows down.. So if you eat 5 smaller meals, the body will stay out of the famine mode and your metabolism will pick up a great deal and you will actually burn energy more efficiently.

I hope this helps. I have lost about 50 pounds, and am going for 40 more. so I have a bit of experience on the weight loss dept. I am using a variation of the Bill Phillips plan, fit for life

Have a good one

Bob

If you need more info check out the following web site:

i was 6'4 230lbs with no muscle about a year or so ago, then senior year i had weightlifting class and a p.e. class. i ate salads for lunch and looked for healthier alternatives to what i would normally eat. after high school i couldn't goto the gym as much but still went twice a week and now i weigh 195lbs with muscle. not the fastest weight loss but i've slacked and havn't hit the gym in 2 months, and eaten more, yet havn't gained a pound...i guess what i'm trying to say is that diets can make you lose weight fast but it'll come back fast as well.:)

I go to the gym regularly and go to yoga classes and run. The best advice someone gave me regarding going to the gym was to pay for a personal trainer for awhile. They can set up a routine for you depending on your goals and train you to workout safely and correctly. Most will even go over diet considerations etc. Its not cheap, but worth it and will more than likely help your chances of not giving up like 90% of new members do. Good luck!

It shows Kalama!:D You are so right that at least a few visits with a personal trainer is very advantageous, especially for a beginner. Like most things, ask 5 people about weight training and you'll get 5 different answers. The biggest mistake that most people starting out make is over-training. To build muscle mass (which will lead to your body burning more calories at rest, which is the best of all possibilities) you have to work the muscle and then give it time to grow. cardio is of course important also, not only for weight loss but heart health. Weight training and cardio combined with plenty of rest and a sensible diet is the best way to lose weight and become fit. As we can all see by Kalama's example, it can be very effective when done correctly.

Another good thing is to find a gym buddy. You need someone to spot you when you lift weights, so why not use the same person every day? A few of my friends at work go jogging with me, and it is a good motivator. At least one of us will usually be motivated, and he'll call the others "slackers" if we don't go. :D

Everyone here has good advice take the best from eachone and use it.

Since you want to loose weight, like Nick C. said, look for healthier alternatives to what you eat now. Some stuff that's good for you when you hit the weights and want to loose weight is Beef Jerky. It actually blocks insulin which tells you body to store fat; so it's a good in-between meals snack.

If you're going to the gym to loose weight as your primary goal do more cardio and stretching such as treadmill, stair climber, rows, yoga, aerobics. Mon., Wed., Fri.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays weight train. Since you don't want to put much muscle on I suggest using machines instead of free weights. You get more range of motion with machines than free weights and they more or less tone the muscle you have. Free weights are for adding bulk.

If you're looking for definition in the muscles switch from machines to free weights every other week. You should also work muscle groups that compliment eachother. Meaning if you want your biceps to look bigger, work on your triceps but work them both in the same workout the same day. To make your back bigger work on your lats with the lat machine or military press. The military press is good for the shoulders which also make your arms look bigger.

DO bring a friend though, someone with similar goals as you like, NelsonOKC said. And take it slow at the beginning.

Also, as long as you do goto the gym 5 days a week, take a protein shake after workouts. It helps promote weight loss and also helps against the formation of lactic acids in the muscles which make you sore in the days after your workouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My routine includes 30 mins of running every other day (my knees start bothering me if I run every day). I run about a 8 min mile, so nothing blistering fast.

1 hour at the gym 6 days out of each week with this rotation:

Shoulders and Chest with last 10 mins abs

Triceps and Biceps - no abs that day

Legs with last 15 mins abs

Using this workout, I got myself into great shape which has allowed me to take on several challenging - even grueling - hikes in the Grand Canyon without injuries or undue soreness.

In my case my weight has gone from 155 to 185 - my goal was to gain muscle mass and weight.

Don't focus on your weight. As you lift, consider instead you body dimension. Muscle is more dense and compact than fat. You might not weigh less, but you might just be fitting into the 34" pants you wanted. Too many people are concerned with gaining too much muscle mass. Don't be, it takes years to get that big. The important thing is that you are doing something, any activity is better than no activity.

STogie

Does eating a lot of red meat sound like the healthy thing to do? Atkins may help you lose weight, but what is it doing to your arteries? Eat low fat and cut out junk.

Eating less calories than you burn or to state it another way, burning more calories than you eat, is what will make you lose weight.

I also like to think of my metabolism as a fire. To keep the fire burning consistantly, keep adding a little fuel to it. If you stop adding, the flame gets smaller and there is less burning going on. Add too much, and when you add more, what was previously added has not burned yet. Does this make sense? What I'm trying to relate with a mental picture is: EAT SMALL PORTIONS AT FREQUENT INTERVALS.

STogie,

While your right that muscle is more dense and compact than fat. You can control how you put on just like how you can control your weight.

Also, for a stocky man like Aaron said he was. Any muscle gain will make him look larger. He needs to work on toning the muscle he has with light weight lifts and more reps on a machine rather than free weights that add bulk.

And yes any activity is better than no activity.

After a long period away from the gym I do a lot of the machines, all body workout routines. But, I always do 30-45 mins of cardio first for 3-4 days a week. After a month I continue the cardio and switch it up to free weights concentrating on two body parts. I don't go heavy any more since I'm a lot older now...LOL But, I've been lucky to always lose weight with this routine without looking like I gained weight. I have the same body type Aaron.

Does eating a lot of red meat sound like the healthy thing to do? Atkins may help you lose weight, but what is it doing to your arteries? Eat low fat and cut out junk.

Mookie, Atkins doesn't necessarily mean eating only red meat. I do the low-carb thing (Atkins) and choose to eat chicken and fish with the occasional thick juicy steak. The beauty of low carb is that you don't have to watch the amount you eat so you're never hungry. Of course, you don't want to constantly stuff your pie hole. Like Caymem, I feel more energetic and have a lower body fat percentage than I ever have now that I have cut out all the sugar and pasta...and I've always been a gym rat.

Whatever you choose to do, BE CONSISTENT and don't get discouraged if you don't see immediate results. Stick with it and you'll get to where you want. Just my 1 1/2 cents worth.

I was a spinning maniac for years and its a great workout. Last time I was at the gym was the day I met a beautiful girl who is now my wife- mission accomplished.:cool:

STench,

I was commenting on Boodro's post:

I did a low Atkins diet for about a year and in the first months I lost 30 also...Its kind of a life thing, but its not so bad, because you can eat all the meat you want!.

The point I was trying to make is to have a healthy diet and it's a relationship between taking in calories and burning calories.

That's right... as long as you burn more calories exercising than you take in, you will lose weight.

Bread and pasta are great energy foods which in moderation are quite healthy.

Something worth considering in addition to a revamped diet and weight exercises is flexibility training. Lifting weights tends to reduce flexibility, so be sure to offset that with something like Yoga, Pillates or just plain ol' stretching. In addition to doing the stretching before and after any workout, doing a round of isolated stretching will not only improve legiment strength, but you will be able to have more power in addition to your new strength.

I'm starting to do flexibility training myself, I'm active enough to where I don't feel I need additional weight training, but my felxibility is laughable.