Antilock brakes when turning/stopping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know the title is weird but here's my problem. When I'm turning and braking (ie: parking space) sometimes the antilock kicks in and my brakes pulsate for the last bit of movement. I dont seem to have any problem during normal breaking or anything else. Any ideas as to why the antilock would kick in during turning/braking?

4wd ???

I almost bet it is a bad Front hub bearing.....

Todd Z

the fronts are always spinning, thats where the abs sensors are. there is one in the rear on top of the diff housing....

The rear is easy to change, BUT i bet if you had a mechanic scan it while it is happening, it will show a Front since it happens only when turning...

IF it happens when going straight in line and it pulls to one side, its the OPPOSITE side releasing and thats the bad hub..

Todd Z

jayrat, the problem you described isn't weird. In fact it's very common among 4WD Gen1 trucks. It happened to me, and it was a front hub bearing.

I used an aftermarket product from RockAuto, and it was fine.

If you've been thinking of replacing front brake pads or rotor, this would be a good time to do it, because they're going to come off when the hub comes off.

I had the same thing occur. I changed a very smooth running hub then wondered if I could remove the anti-lock sensor. Got the right size hex and popped it out. It was dirty and may have had small deposits attached. I cleaned it and the pulse ring as best I could and lubed it for storage. If I change another, I'll try this one again and see if the brake grabbing returns before I buy another hub.

Latest posts