Another Winstar Van question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldon Webb

Reaction score
Does anyone know any tricks on changing the plugs on this beast? The front 3 are going to be simple, but how do I get to the back ones? :unsure:

Does this have a engine mount that is easy to unbolt that stops the front to back movement?

If so, unbolt one end and swing it out of the way. Leave it in park. From behind the vehicle come up to it with another vehicle. Put a used tire with no rim in between the two or some thing else that will not damage the vehicles. Then push into the rear bumper of the Van. Since it is in park the engine will roll forwards and give you MUCH more room to work with.

Block all the wheels to keep you body safe one the rear vehicle has pushed up again the van.

That sounds similar to the way to change the plugs in my '95 grand prix...except no other vehicle required. I had to unbold the top motor mounts (the ones that were supposed to lift the engine up and over in the even of a frontal crash) and rotate the engine forward.... I never changed the plugs in it myself..was not that mechanically inclined at the time. :p

Thanks, I will check it out. My Daughter just bought the van a couple of days ago. It has 75 K on it and I am going to do some matainance; Tranny filter & pan drain valve, plugs and wires, fuel filter, and a K&N air cleaner element. And soon, new shocks.....:)

remove engine.. replace plugs.. reinstall engine.... total time 24 hours.and 2 cases of beer,(latter of the two ,reason for increased labor time) good luck!!! :lol::huh::unsure:

I have changed them from underneath....

Todd Z

Thanks people. I will check out the underneath when I do the tranny work. If it looks too risky I will have my local Ford mechanic do it.:)