another 2001 fuel pump problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been reading things on this forum about fuel pump problems, but have never left a message. My 2001 ST has had an intermittent cranking but not starting problem for about a year now. This past week when I turn the ignition to the on position, I can no longer hear the fuel pump kick in, and the truck cranks but does not start. In the last few weeks I did change the air intake control valve and for two weeks it started every time. I think it was just a fluke. Now that I don't hear the fuel pump running, I have replaced a 20 amp fuse and the pump relay. I also checked the inertia switch and the button is down. Any other ideas on why the fuel pump won't run, or is the pump fried?

Did you check the wiring and connector at the bottom of the inertia switch? Take it out and look.

If that's not fried, you could spray a super tiny amount of gas in the intake or in a vacuum line and if the truck starts its the fuel pump.

Todd Z

Thanks for the input, Todd. The connector wiring on the intake control valve looks fine. Not sure on how to spray gas into the vacuum line without getting fuel into the engine compartment. Think I'll hold off on that.

Todd meant the connector to the inertia switch, not the the idle air control (IAC) valve. These sometimes melt.

I think Todd has a picture of this.

Dang.

Can you provide more detail? For instance, you note that there has been an intermittent cranking, but not starting problem. To me this means that it will sometimes not crank (starter doesn't work), but that when it does crank, it starts reliably.

This seems electrical and maybe a ground (wondering if there is a common ground) or the ignition switch (a lot of things happen when that key is turned).

Any other odd behavior?

My Sport Trac has been giving me this problem for over a year now. It's definitely not the stater as the engine always turns over, but just won't start. I took it to the Ford dealership twice and it never happened to them (of course). The third time they cleaned fuel system or carbon canister...not sure what it was, but when I got the ST back I had no problems until this October when the same problem presented itself again. I went back to the dealership and they told me it may be the air intake valve so I replaced it ($63). Then for over the next 2-3 weeks it started every time. Then one morning went to the garage to start it and I was back to the same, engine will turn over but not start; but this time I noticed that I no longer could hear the fuel pump start when key was in the on position. After that, it started once, and that time I heard the fuel pump kick in before the engine started. (you can hear the fuel pump if you have the window down and key in on position.) Like I said above, I then checked the fuse and relay and inertia switch and all were good. Bottom line is; now I'm pretty sure the pump must be bad and just called a tow truck to pick up the ST and take it to the dealership. I wish I could replace it myself as I think they're talking about $1000; but I have no way to drop the gas tank to get at the pump, so I'm at the mercy of the Dealership.

My 1995 Ranger did this - it was the fuel pump. I would get the intermittent no start condition but it would always crank. The independent shop that put the pump in charged around $600 for the work.

I had the same problem on my 2001 ST. The repair shop replaced the fuel pump 3 times because of a non starting problem. The 4th fuel pump solved the problem because I requested it be replaced with a Motorcraft fuel pump. A year later.......never had the problem again...and it is quiet. I have found that a lot of after market parts do not work on my truck.