Annoying Traction Control

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S 3

Reaction score
Does anyone else find the traction control annoying in the snow. I find it really jerky when a rear wheel slips. I makes the front jolt ahead. I've had a few 4x4 but not like this. I also find it sounds like it's binding up badly when you turn at all when going slow in 4 High. I'm going to the dealer tuesday to see if they flash the computer to take care of the shifting issues. Other then that I love my Sport Trac. COMFORT AND POWER

07 Trac Limited 4x4

I also find it sounds like it's binding up badly when you turn at all when going slow in 4 High.

What you are describing is someone that doesn't know how a 4x4 system works.

You NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, run a 4x4 in 4x4 high on drive pavement, even more so when making a turn.

Try reading up on how 4x4 systems and how they work. You would be amazed on what you can learn if you try.

Does anyone else find the traction control annoying in the snow.

I am going out on a limb here, but is the 2007 Trac's 4x4 system an Automatic 4x4 system?

In other words, when the rear tires slip, the transfer case engages power to the front wheels and the jolt you feel is that happening.

Our 2000 Explorer is like that. When the rear tires slip, the front grabs and off you go. That is operating normal.

Congratulations. Your have a perfectly operating vehicle.

Tom

Tom hit it: My '07 is automatic too. When the traction control kicks in, or when the 4WD kicks in, it does so with a "bang" and a jerk. It does seem kind of harsh, but I assume it is normal and nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Oh ya i know not to use 4 High on pavement. Which is why i like the auto 4x4 so when the fiance drives it it's idiot proof. I was using it in 6" of snow in a dirt parking lot. I just find the jerking annoying. Maybe i'm being particular because my wallet still hurts from buying this beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm probably going to sound dumb, but I'd rather ask than just not know. I know your not supposed to use 4WD on dry pavement. When I read the opening post I took it to mean he was using 4WD in the snow. The 1st reply was saying never use on "drive pavement". I am sure he meant "dry" pavement. Not trying to flame, just want to make sure I don't mess up my Trac. Its the 1st 4WD I've had and the only comments on 4WD from the dealer was "here is the switch" and "read the manual". I read it and it said to not use 4WD on dry pavement. I only use 4WD in snow, ice or when having traction issues like spinning on a steep gravel road. Am I wrong?:unsure:

IF you hit the gas hard enough in the 07 in a turn on DRY pavement and get a slight tire slip, You will engage the Auto 4WD, this will cause the transfer case to engage ( like tom said) and it can cause the drive train to bind up....

Todd Z

Just got back from driving mine in 3-4 inches of snow. Worked great but when the rear wheels slip, there is kind of a soft engagement "thump" when the front wheels kick in. I would think this is normal when you are engaging a drive system with the the motor under acceleration. I wasn't thrashing my V8 and was getting this feeling from the drive line. I guess if a person was planting the throttle and the front wheels engaged, it might make a nasty engagment "thump".

So far , So good for my 07 V8 4X4 XLT ST. I'm ready for 2 foot of snow...no problem! I guess around here I'll never get to try that out!

Enjoy your ST!
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Common sense helps my insurance rates too! We had 46" of snow here in the matter of 12 hours and the sporttrac never skipped a beat in the snow. The auto 4wd works great.

I find the automatic 4WD annoying also. Even the slightest slip on the wheel and it kicks in. I wish there was something you could do about it also. It also stays engaged for 5km or so before it kicks out. Unless you hit 4HI and AUTO again.

Some of the jolting is also caused by the traction control, it cuts the throttle and uses the brakes to stop the spinning wheels. You need to push and hold the traction control button for about 10 seconds to disengage (it will flash a few times). Once disengaged, you can play with powerslides in the snow, although the Auto-4wd will still engage. 4wd powerslides, just like the rally guys!

Latest posts