Ambient lighting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Wysocki

Reaction score
I rented a mustang not to long ago and it had interior LED ambient lighting. I was impressed with the Red glow as it keeps your night vision. I am considering installing in my Trac. Has anyone else seen or done this?? I'm looking for some community imput. Good or Bad.

See link ???

Todd Z

Nah I dont think that link is what Socki is talking about Todd.

I was given an Edge to drive around for a week while my truck was in the body shop a year ago. I had the same reaction to the ambient lighting in the Edge. It was awesome! You could change from orange, to blue, to green to red, etc. They even talk about it in the new Ford commercials - a girl is real stoked that she can have the interior of her car lit up in Pink:rolleyes:.

I also liked how it illuminated the cup holders tho:cool:

Been wondering about this myself, as I thought it would be a cool, easy mod.

Not sure what kind of lighting system they use for the ambient lighting in new Ford vehicles, but there are LED strips that you can install under the dash or under the seats that are *supposed* to have a similar effect. They are not expensive, but I have no idea what kind of quality they are, as I've never been interested in them since I thought they were more for "ricers."

Now I've been thinking about it more and more and might take some steps towrds installing some ambient lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for the Ford add-on, it's part number 9A8Z13E700AA. It retails for $270.00 for the kit. If you plan on installing it yourself, make sure you get the instruction PDF file or have the dealer print it for you, because it is not included with the kit.

Shaun T,

You are correct. After many searches I was able to come up with the OEM part # for the Color Led ambient light kit. ( 8L8Z-13E700-AA-ST09 from partscheap.com) This kit is for the ST. I'm still wondering if anyone else has done this and what their reaction is..

We have it in Allyssa's 2008 Warriors In Pink Mustang convertible. It's very cool. Lights up the cupholders, and the front and rear floor areas. There are several different colors from which to choose.

The Mustang also has the MyColor option for the gages. We have it and the ambient lighting set to pink to match the upholstery stitching and overall WIP theme of the car.:cool:

I have a 2010 Edge Limited on order that is supposed to be in on the 30th. I am anxious to see what the lighting is like. Salesperson says it is a pretty neat effect.

Rod

I had strobe lights mounted next to my rearview mirror for years. :D

Ahh, Gotcha.....

Todd Z

We have it in our Lexus IS350 and I really think it is cool, I have been thinking about doing this is the ST as well, wouldn't really be that difficult you just gotta play around with it and find the right leds if you don't wanna go with the kit

I had it, but it wasn't a Ford kit. I installed a neon tube under each side of the dash. Did the same thing in the Mustang, but then moved them into the dash lip like on the new KITT.

Latest posts