Am I Doing The Right Thing???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you are talking about a spouse/marriage here..

Not necessarily--although that is definitely among the things that can be impacted.

But I was more saying that, in general, a major event like the birth of a child can cause a major shift in your life priorities--many times that shift is long-term, but often it is only short-term during the adjustment phase. Until you know which it is, don't make any changes which will definitely have a long-term impact.

You are too young to grasp my point Nik...That's OK and even expeected...

But know that I in no way meant it as a slam against post boomer generation...

DaveS,

I'm 43 last January. A "cusper" by definition as I am on the cusp of the Baby Boom generation.

I started my full-time career when just out of college in '89. During the past 20 years I have had 5 full-time jobs, spanning from about 9 months the shortest (a transition job), and about 7 years the longest. Not counting the couple of transition jobs, I'm averaging about 6 years at each of my jobs.

Why do I mention this...because it's pretty common as you have recognized. 8 years at a job these days is an eternity.

Gone are the days of 20+ years on average at a company, the retirement and the golden watch.

We could argue which is better, but that's pretty pointless. The fact is that the world has changed, the old ways are gone (for the most part), and they aren't likely coming back.

TJR

TJR is right, there are very few companies that hold associates for more than 10 years, let alone 20. As a social historian I have seen a change in job and social patterns. Before, having one job meant loyalty, knowledge, and a committed as well as obedient employer. But today having one job means you have little experience but by having several jobs that were held for several years each.

I will say that the job i'm about to start with Peebles, from those that i have talked to, the store managers have stayed with the company 10-20 years.

Latest posts