Am I Doing The Right Thing???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik Hoffman

Reaction score
So I know I am doing the right thing, just need other opinions. I currently work for CitiCard as a Collector on Sears Accounts. I realize people HATE collectors, so please be nice. Its a job and I needed one at the time and the $ is pretty good. Anyhow, its been almost 3 years that I have been doing it and I just went back to work, I took 5 weeks off for paternity leave for my son. Monday was my first day back and it made me realize how unhappy I was/am at work. I really liked being off and its not that I dont want to work, I dont want to work as a collector anymore. I dont get any job satisfaction anymore and it is getting to the point that the majority of people wont listen to us, the collectors, and take our help/advice. We can really help if given the time to explain the options. But it seems like given the state of the economy, it will just get harder and harder to do the job. On top of that, changes in the company have made it harder to "succeed" at doing the job, goals have risen and we get monitored and if we forget to ask 1/6th of one of the sections, we fail the call. I decided for my own sanity and stress level, its time to change. I hate having to start over and its not the best time to start a new job but feel I need to. Sorry for the long post, its been on my mind non stop.

You spend too much time at work not to have one that you enjoy. If your job is too stressful or dissatisfying, you'll spend too much time trying to make up for it after work. The main purpose of a job is to earn enough to be able to support yourself and family. Being miserable at work will only screww up you home life in the long run. Try to get a job that you like better and still affords enough compensation to take care of you and yours.....MikeC

Hi Nik,

It is always hard to change from what you have to something new. Try to look at this change as an adventure. You are obviously not content or fulfilled with collections and need new challenges. Take time to prepare yourself for the change and try not to jump into the first job that comes along. Seek out first what you really enjoy. If you can't get your "dream job" do something in that field and get retraining to become all that you want to be. Believe in yourself and maximize your talents.

I sincerely wish you all the best of luck.

Gerry

What exactly are you looking for someone on this thread to convince you of what you already know???

For the sake of your family, stay with what you have until you have something new that you know you can do long-term. Having a job you hate is still better than having none at all.

I realize I am smarter to find a new job before leaving the one I have, I just dont like the change that comes with it, starting a whole new job at this time is a scary idea, I have only had 4 jobs since 1997 and mainly in the auto repair field. I know its the right thing to do just need to "talk" about it to keep it from driving me crazy. Thanks for the input guys.

Nik,

About 25 years ago I found myself in a similar state of affairs. I took my time looking for a different job while staying at the one I had (retail sales). Finally found one which forced a considerable cut in pay, but would pay the bills until I could increase my salary by means of merit and cost of living pay raises. I must say it was a struggle at first (had two girls in elementary school at the time), but nevertheless paid off in the long run. I just retired from that job after 25 years service. I have never regretted the change.

But by all means, make a plan and stick to it. If you have a realistic job change goal in place and stick to it, it will give you something to look forward to and will make your task ahead easier.

Good luck.

The "only" 4 job thing boggles my mind. That is on average a new job every (3) years and it flowed out of you thoughts so easily.

I have also "only" had (4) jobs in my adult lifetime. BUT, this coming October, I will have been at my "same" job for 27 years steady without (1) layoff!!!

Just a thought on my part. I really don't envy the generation outside of the Boomers in anyway, shape or form.

Not a slam in any tense because that's what the post boomer generations are used to and expect . Anyone above age 45 or so should know what I mean.

Good luck...

I realize Im not as "seasoned" as alot of people out there, but while going to college and recently starting a family, this job thing puts alot on my mind. I may not be as successful at keeping my job for the long term,but each time I have left has so far been for the better.

DaveS, it must be nice to have a job that you have been happy with to be there as long as I have been alive. While still going to college, I have yet to figure out what I want to do as a career and realize its about time I figure something out. Luckily with what my wife makes, my job brings in the additional income needed, we are pretty much covered with hers. She and I talked and at least until my son gets to elementary school, he will be 3 months on the 25th, I will probably find a part time job and work evenings so that I can be a stay at home dad, for the most part. I realize in the Boomer time, the man was the provider, but I dont have an issue with my wife making more than I do, she is a High School teacher and does a job I couldnt do.

It took me many years to finally learn the truth: Its not the job that sucks, it is working that sucks.

All jobs suck. Best to find one you can tolerate and that pays the bills and then just wait it out until you can retire.

However, I have advanced and increased my income by changing jobs. If I would have stayed at the previous job, I probably would have been stuck at that level. Just don't ever expect a job to bring you eternal satisfaction and happiness, because they won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nik,

Start a DL (down low) look for a new job but keep your current job.

You are a dad. That comes with responsibilities. Keep gainfully employed in this tough economy any way you can, and while you are, find a better job.

The best time to look for a job is when you already have one.

That's my advice.

TJR

I agree with TJR, theres nothing wrong with looking for one that more matches what you want to do. Its really amazing how your outlook will change when you have that job that you enjoy going to, and even sometimes, hate leaving for the day. I have been blessed with the career that I like to go to, even if it is a lousy commute. And it was a huge decision, as my wife was going to need to make one heck of a sacrifice in order for me to take this career, but it was so worth it.

So do the same, find that 'career', not that job that you enjoy. There may be some sacrifices that have to be made, but in the long run, you and your family will be better off. Having a happy dad come home is worlds better than one that needs to get home to be happy.

Good luck!

Nik,

I feel your pain buddy. I was going to be laid off in March, but was searching for another job while the deadline approached.

I found a decent job using the same skill with the school board and accepted. I left my one workplace on the friday and the next monday started my next job.

Its not all bad, I hate being the new guy, but I was thankful to find a place to work before being out of work.

Mind you, I have taken a $6/hr pay cut with this new job, but I am always looking for bigger and better opportunities. Stay with your collection agency for now, look for a job and apply while you still hold the position you have now, and when you find another job (even if its a little less pay) get your ass out of the collection agency.

Nik--

As someone who has recently been through the adding-to-the-family bit, multiple times, I STRONGLY recommend that you NOT consider changing jobs right now. For a number of reasons, including...

--All of the members of your family, including yourself, are going through a severe lifestyle adjustment right now. You need as much stability as you can in all other aspects of your life to help you and your family make that adjustment as easily as possible.

--While you're making those adjustments (not just mentally, but also emotionally and even physically), you'd be suprised at how much your sense of what you enjoy, what gives you satisfaction, etc., are changing, and will continue to change. Until those adjustments are made, and you develop and stabilize those senses of what works for you, don't trust them with any major decisions. Something that gave you satisfaction in the recent past, but suddenly doesn't now, may once again become satisfying in the next month or two. Or it may never again be satisfying. Or it may change multiple times. Until things settle down, now isn't the time to do that.

Most career experts recommend that, if at all possible, people shouldn't make significant career changes within 6 months after the birth of a child, a wedding, a divorce, or a family death, for these exact reasons. (The same goes for buying/selling/moving into a new home.) Do these types of things when the rest of your life has enough stability to withstand the shake-up.

Just my 2 cents...

Nik, do what you think is right. I just got out of college and had a lot of awesome jobs during the summer that were lots of fun but had no benefits. Just got a job and even though its not something I ever thought I would do, going to be a store manager for Peebles which is a clothing retail and I have a BA in History, to me as long as I learn and gain experience from the job I had even if I didn't like it. Now, I'm not in the same situation as you in regards to having a family but I will have a family is a few years and that is my focus is to be able to support my family. Nik, if your job is effecting your family time there is no need to stay at that job if you can leave it. Make a plan first and don't be hasty. With about 10% unemployment new jobs are hard to find that have both benefits and good pay. Search for what you want when you got the time to.

Something that gave you satisfaction in the recent past, but suddenly doesn't now, may once again become satisfying in the next month or two. Or it may never again be satisfying.

Sounds like you are talking about a spouse/marriage here..

Latest posts