am I crazy?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marsha Walker

Reaction score
I have an 01 ST with 187k. I got the oil changed yesterday (which I do every 3k) and found out the ball joints are shot, they of course are chewing up my tires, the oil pan is leaking, the valve cover is leaking, the front axle is leaking, the rear shocks are shot, the body bushing are creeking like nobodys business but yet I am thinking I may spend a couple grand and fix thd old girl! Am I nuts? I just cant find anything else I like as well as the ST! Damn Ford for quiting making them! When do I make the decision to get rid of her? Im thknking the cost to repair is far better than 20 or 35k for a new ride....

Nope, not crazy at all. My 2001 has been anything but trouble free. I've done cam cassettes, trans rebuild, front end rebuild, harmonic balancer, brakes all around, steering column harness, full A/C rebuild, all shocks and I still can't find a replacement for her. (153,000 and still clocking)

I wish it had the 4.6 instead of the 4.0 for passing and towing my tractor on the highway but other than that it is still perfect for the tasks we do.

I have/had the same issues with my 2002. I put new everything up front, drives nice now. Oil pan leak might be the oil filter adapter. Axles are gonna leak anyways, keep the fluid topped off unless it really leaks. Valve cover might be a PCV gasket at rear of the driver's side head. I have 230,000+ on it, and fixing is cheaper than a car payment. As long as she runs, I'll keep on Trac'n...

Fix it! The ball joints are routine maintanance parts, the valve cover and oil pan leaks should be reasonable to fix. I don't know what it takes to fix the axle leak, or what it would cost to have the bushings replaced. Once you get all that fixed, it will feel like a new truck (that you know and like) for 10% of a new one.

Sears on Merle Hay put new lower ball joints, sway bar end links, and aligned the front end on my son's '97 Mountaineer for $597 last month. Took them about 2 hours if I remember correctly.

We have had the same debate, and decided she's just too sweet of a truck to not fix her. $1400 last week and a bit more to go. Beats $40k for a new F-150 any day! Plus let's face it, we love our STs! I get people asking if we'll sell her all the time, including the dealer. No way, she's mine!

:haveabeer:

Thanks everyone! I am going to start making a list of the issues and figure out what I'm looking at. Hopefully I can make a decision soon as winter is fast approaching!

As noted above, many of these are typical wear and tear or maintenance items that are only avoided by buying a new vehicle before they occur. This is expensive.

- Ball joints - typical (for this vehicle). I think most replace with Moog.

- Tires - have to watch the tires for signs of wear that indicate problems. I glance at mine as I approach at least each week.

- Oil pan and valve cover leaks - kind of random.

- Front axle leak - I don't have a pulse on this.

- Rear shocks - OEM are not very good; replacements good for 30 to 50kmi, depending on which. You should be on the fourth set, at the least. I recommend replacing all shocks at the same time.

- Body bushings - typical (for this vehicle, unfortunately).

Because mine doesn't keep an alignment well (at all), I purchased a lifetime alignment and get an alignment at least each oil change (5000 miles). I also got wheel rotation and balance for the life of the tires and have those done at least each oil change, too.

Two ways to look at this.

As Duane notes, the repairs are far less than a replacement comparable vehicle. Another way is to amortize the repair costs over the time you have owned it. Say, for instance, you have spent $3000.00 in non-routine maintenance and repairs. If you got it new, that's 3000/12yr=$250.00 per year. If you didn't get it new, then you probably saved on the purchase price and can rationalize using that saving on the repairs.

I too have a '01 4x4, with 220000mi and have had some of the same repairs. I'm keeping mine.

Good input! Actually, I put monroe sensatracs on at about 50k so they are just the 2nd set! Third set of tires about to be a 4th if I keep her. I did buy her used with 20k for about $21k! Im hoping a friend can advise me in the next week or two on the costs. Some things are more critical then others, maybe if we have a "car care day" we can knock them all out! I just wish I had a good local mechanic.... my friend is 50 miles away!

If you are willing to spend a couple grand on repairs you should be able to overhaul the whole suspension. Ball joints, sway bar upgrade, sway bar end links, shocks as well as body mounts. A good mechanic that you trust is, imho, worth the drive.

I just had my ball joints replaced. That alone made a significant difference...

Keep on Trac'n!! :banana:

I like the way Yardsale thinks. I went through a similar thought process when I bought mine last winter. The choices were $8000 for any one of several Sport Tracs around here with mileage from 100,000 to 133,000, or $11,000 for the one I bought with 63,500 miles. Both amounts were more than I intended to spend when I started my search, but I figured I could spend more now and drive it for 7 or 8 years before it got as many miles on it as the others have now. I kind of amortized it out, and came to the desicion overall the lower mileage truck would be cheaper than the others if I had to find a replacement in a few years. I tend to wring all the miles I can out of my vehicles. As I have learned from the forums, the Tracs I passed on are about due for some of the common problems to start cropping up, so in the long run I'll probably save a ton of $$.

In your case, Marsha, your truck is paid for and you like it, so doing the repairs will be cheaper in the long run as opposed to buying a different vehicle. You didn't really think a bunch of Sport Trac owners would tell you to get rid of it, did you?

Years ago I was trying to decide if I should fix the rust and repaint my '79 Ranchero, or sell it and get something else. A friend I called for advice said "You'll know if you made the right desicion in about a year and a half." I sold it. Saw it a couple of years later and knew I'd made the right choice. By the way, this friend is an outstanding Ford mechanic and I used to drive 45 miles for him to work on my cars. We're 90 miles apart now, so I just call him when I need help and he walks me through it.

For shocks, I have had the OEM, Monroe Magnum and Rancho RS9000XL. The Monroe were good on the rear, but too soft for me on the front (too much porpoising). I replaced them with the Rancho RS9000XL which have adjustable damping and I like them. The Ranchos are a bit spendy at about $100.00 each, you get to tune them how you want.

Latest posts