alternator

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
So the 2001 ST, original alternator. new battery (5 months old) the amp gauge on the dash shows little charging. Battery cables are still clean and tight from the new battery install. Ground cable at battery to frame is less thae 1 ohm. Tested the voltage at the battery, got about 11.5 volts with engine off. with engine running, no change. went to the alternator, the large red cable, got 11.5 more or less. before spending $100.00 on an alternator is there another test to confirm the alternator is bad??

Thanks for the help.

It's almost certainly a bad alternator. Like Steve said, take it off and have the parts store of your choice do a bench test before you plunk down $$ for a new one. I replaced the alternator on my '01 recently - it was putting out just 4 volts on the bench test.

Oh Yeah, after my test, referred to my car shop, they confirmed, bad Alternator.

Replaced Alternator, belt was 9 months old, kept it, idler pulley, 9 months old kept it, new alternator, all is good.

Thanks for help and support. do not want to spend $140.00 W/O confirmation of prolem.

this was an easy repair. three bolts, two electrical connectiors. And a good chance to learn how to replace the belt. An excellent learning project.

Love my 230,000 ST

Dennis

A

Latest posts