Alternator Needed Advise?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Corn

Reaction score
Does anyone think this alternator from Ebay will fit? It says 01-04 but a lot of stuff on ebay says that.

its only 40 bucks.

Looks like it came out of a crashed explorer with minor damage.

Ford changed the alternator in 2004.......

I would ask for a real picture of the plugs to make sure its the right one..

Todd Z

Mike,

I would never buy a used Alternator or a used Water pump, etc. Some parts are just not worth the time and trouble to replace with used parts.

Do a search on the web for a remanufactured Alternator. They have been tested and inspected and all parts that show signs any signs of wear are replaced, but most importantly, they come with warranties.

You can probably get a good remanufactured (rebuilt) alternator for under $200. If you have a starter/generator shop nearby, they can probably fix your existing alternator for half that, or less.

...Rich

what is required in fixing an alternator? I fried the thing by reversing the battery terminals as you know. I asked the guys at advance if one of those plugs into the alternator could be changed. One has a small philips head tweaker and I think is the main power generator to the alternator.

Doesn't an alternator convert AC/DC or vice versa? If its not getting power it could be that component. The reading at advance was like 3-5. The green zone on the meter was like 20.

Mike,

Yes, alternators convert AC to a pulsating DC current by using a Bridge Rectifyer circuit which is basicly a linking of diodes (usually in a single component) that creates a One-way gate for positive and negative voltage to flow only in one direction. Alternators also contain an electronic voltage regulator and power transistors often mounted in heat sinks in the back frame of the alternator. The voltage regulator and Rectifier Diodes are the most common thing to fail when battery terminals are shorted.

Of course the bearings are suseptable to wear, but in your case, we know that is not the problem.

It is not hard to disassemble an alternator and install new brushes, diodes, or voltage regulator circuits... I have done it dozens of times over the past 40+ years, but I do not know how difficult it might be for you...Not to ridicule you, but afterall, you did connect your battery cables backwards to create this problem so I would be reluctant to suggest that you tear into your alternator..Unless you have a good repair manual with pictures and a volt/ohm meter which is required to identify the exact component that has failed.

That's why I recommend that you either buy a rebuilt unit or find a starter/generator/alternator repair shop that will fix your alternator.

...Rich

I wouldn't mess with a rebuilt alternator from a website. For a few bucks more you can get a new one. Why take a chance on someone else's trouble? Unless you know and trust the rebuilder, and know what parts were replaced and at what quality level, you are just rolling the dice.

I might consider a Duralast rebuilt from the local AutoZone. At least you have a warranty someone at the counter to throw it at.

I might be wrong as far as todays rebuilts.

There was a time that there wre rebuilts and remanufactured.

Rebuilts only had bad parts relaced and cleaned up.

Remanufactured, All major componnents were replaced and the windings for armature and feild were cleaned and recoated. Basicly brought up to new standards.

Been along time(20yrs) since I have had to replace an altenator or starter. I do remember there was a price difference.

Eddie,

I agree with your statement about the differences between rebuilt and remanufactured. I think over time, those lines have blurred.

I have been looking at some remanufactured parts for my old 1990 Honda Accord (fixing it up for my twin grand kids). There are companies selling "Remanufactured" parts that they say were thouroghly inspected and any worn out or out of tolerance parts are replaced, but they give 1-3 year warranties, and in some cases they give a limited lifetime warranty?? For my Honda I have been looking at Distributors, CV Axles, Power Steering Pumps and Rack & pinions. Some even sell rebuilt/remanufactured fuel injectors.

Most of the sites including AutoZone list the parts as "New" or "Reman." I don't think the term rebuilt exists anymore if the rebuild was done in a parts factory... Everything now seems to be Remanufactured. I think Rebuilt only applies if a private party like you or I do it in our garage..:grin:

...Rich

Latest posts