Almost completed brake job but need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
Well I almost successfully made it through a brake job all by myself. I was feeling pretty good about my accomplishment until the drivers side parking brake shoes fell apart. I worked my way through the rotors and drum replacement thanks to the project and posts on here but now I'm at a loss of how to do the parking brake. I also still need to bleed the brakes as the pedal is a little mushy but I will wait until I have another person to help with that.

So now I need to replace the parking brake shoes, only one fell apart, but I might as well replace both if it isn't too much of a PITA. I need an inspection sticker and cant get one without the ebrake working. Can I just replace the shoes themselves or do I need to buy a kit with the springs and clips etc. I checked Advance auto online and it shows shoes and says they are "easier to install" and include some of the other hardware but I do not know exactly what it includes. Other than the shoes themselves everything else seems to have stayed in place, though they are quite rusty. If just replacing the shoes I assume you can do this with just the caliper and rotor off but to access the springs and other parts looks like you would have to take the hub off.

Could really use some help with this so I can get it fixed. Thanks.

By the way I'm a long time member that used to be active but got really busy and have just been lurking for a while. It's great to see the group still thriving. I was going to get a new truck this spring but I love the ST so much I have decided to keep it and put some money into upkeep.

I see that you have an 04, so you have rear discs... I recently had to replace one of my factory parking brake shoes. I only used one side because I am assuming one side was sticking and wore the shoes down. The other was as good as new.

The parking brake kit from Ford is pricey! It's a dealer only part, and I think it was close to $200 for the set of shoes and new springs. I have one pair of shoes and springs left if you are interested?

If one side is still good, I would not bother with replacing it. It is not the same as regular brakes where you should do both sides at the same time.

You do not have to remove the axle or hub to change out the parking shoes. Just remove the clips, take of the springs, and reverse for reinstall. A brake spring toll will be a big help. Also grease the adjuster star wheel.

Let me know if you are interested in the extra pair of parking shoes and springs I have!

Thanks for the offer mike but I picked up the shoes today at Advance Auto parts. They were $20.99 for the set of shoes and I to $10 off with a promo code I had so cant beat that. Its another $15 or so for the hardware kit (springs etc) that I did not buy hoping I can reuse what I have, if not I will just go grab the kit. They are lifetime warranty shoes and I was surprised they were so cheap.

I'm going to attempt the fix this weekend, I'm going to do the broken one first and if it goes smoothly I will do the other one if it is difficult and takes forever I will just do the one. Seems like a tight fit with the hub in place but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the info.

ah that's interesting! i checked a few retail parts places, and no one carried the e brake shoes. guess I didn't look hard enough, good find!

Steve M thank you so much for the email that will be a great help and I am feeling more confident I can get it done just as long as I do not break anything. Then I will have to go back to get the hardware kit. Now that I think about it I should have just bought it and returned it if I didn't use it.

The only part that I didn't understand was the very first step where is tells you to remove the tension on the parking brake cable. There is no adjustment to the cable as far as I know. Looks like it may just be telling you to lift up on the parking brake pedal and stick something in there to hold it. Again thanks for the info.

There is a flat coiled spring inside the foot control that keeps tension on the cable to keep them from slipping out of their connectors. That's all you're trying to overcome.

I have pulled on the cable from under the side of the vehicle before and just put a rag w/vise grips on the cable where it goes into the front cable conduit. You just have to be careful to not damage the plastic coating on the cables.

I sent you another page from the manual that may better illustrate the drill bit insertion.

Completed the brake job including new parking brake shoes and got my inspection sticker. Thanks again for all the help Steve M. The parking brake was a little bit of a pain, the second one went a lot quicker than the first once I figured out the best west to get things unhooked. The hardest part was actually getting the things adjusted so that they held the truck when engaged but didn't rub at all when disengaged.

'welcome CM. Rear disc setups are a bit confusing when working on them the first time. We replaced a LOT of parking brakes on the City's Interceptors because the officers would forget to release them.............:banghead: