ALL Those with 4X4 issues ????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
To those that are having 4X4 issues,

Have you changed your battery, jump started your truck, jumped some one else or disconnected and re connected your battery recently ??

I have noticed a pattern with those things causing module issues...

Just checking..

Todd Z

I have not done any of those. But my 4x4 system is on the fritz. I changed the module a little over a year and a half ago when it went out, but now If i put my truck in 4high it takes a while for the light to come on then I hear what I believe is the transfer case just clunking and the 4x4 does not engage, then when I put it back into 2wd the 4wd light stays on for about a minute and the transfer case is still making noise.

My guess is the transfer case is dead, any other suggestions? Maybe another bad module?

Your shift motor on the t-case is shot. It is not fully engaging into 4wd and gets stuck between 2wd and 4wd. This happened to me this year when I went to Moab. Pulled up to the beginning of "Fins and Things" and no 4wd. Took the 3 bolts off and locked it into 4wd with some pliers. Go to Advanced auto or Oreilleys and get a lifetime motor for about 70 bucks.

Have you changed your battery, jump started your truck, jumped some one else or disconnected and re connected your battery recently ??

I disconnected the negative cable a few times to reset the computer. I won't be doing that again unless absolutely necessary.

Latest posts