Alignment

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Tanner

Reaction score
It is alignment time... The tires are really cupped, it is almost unbearable. Question: how many out there got away with a simple alignment, and how many had to have the $$$ camber kit ( I think that is what they call it) installed? I just want to be prepared for the wallet pain... Thx in advance..

STanner,

Your 2002 may or may not need camber cams to correct the alignment. In mid year they changed the upper control arm mounting bolts to a style that can simply be repositioned and tightened back down in the correct position. If you have the earlier build, then the cams on the bolts will need to be installed to adjust it.

You can tell which style you have by looking at the bolt heads on the upper control arm mountings. If the head of the bolt has an eccentric cam on it, you have the early style, but if it has a thin steel "flag" that just keeps it from spinning, you have the late style.

All mid 2002 through 2005 ST's do not need any additional parts to correct the alignment, just a little additional labor, but try telling that to an aftermarket shop that makes money by selling you cams.

All mid 2002 through 2005 ST's do not need any additional parts to correct the alignment, just a little additional labor, but try telling that to an aftermarket shop that makes money by selling you cams.

I learned this the hard way.

Ford put a camber kit in mine after Firestone pointed out the camber was out of specs. Ford did it under warranty, since I didn't have 12K miles yet on my Trac. Mine is an '04 and I have an invoice showing that Ford did order parts to correct the camber on my ST. I can scan the invoice for anyone that wants to see it.

I had cupping tires, too. I thought it was shocks at first. But, it was due to the ball joints. The ST was at 89k, and it currently sits at 100k.

I replaced both upper and lower ball joints. Also, at the same time, I did a little mod on the suspension. I was wanting a better control so I installed the x-spec suspension kit from EE. I has the camber kit as one of the components.

My trouble lay with the alignment shop who took two tries to get it right. I will find a different shop on my other ST when it needs it. The first time the camfer bolts were loose (i.e. I could move them with my fingers!)

But, I have not had a problem after that.

Cupping: Usually, Cheap Factory shocks letting the suspension "Flutter", or bounce up and down

uncontrollably, Usu.noticed over the entire circumference of the tire.("Basketballing").

Feathering: Usually, on the inside edges of the front tires, resulting in a noticeably uneven wear

pattern, defined by a sharper edge on the inside of the tire, when running your hand from

front to back over the inside edge of the front tire. (Camber Problem).

The latter is what most of our 'Tracs suffer from.:)

I looked at mine, then at an '05, the newer one had aluminum or galvinized metal tabs coming out of the top by each bushing. Is this what you are referring to?, I have 1/8" thick plates behind the bolt heads, on both sides, for a total of 8 per vehicle.. ???:wacko:

Latest posts