Alignment after new shocks?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading all of the traffic on replacing the stock shocks, I'm strongly considering putting in some Rancho RSX shocks. I hadn't thought a lot about the ride lately, but then I drive a transit bus for a living, so just about anything's better than the bus.

The question I have is: When you swap out the shocks, do you need to have the alignment completely re-done? A buddy of mine who used to work in a tire shop, said that an alignment is necessary after installing new shocks. Of course, its been a few years since he worked there or did much auto work.

Mario

I didn't have an alignment done to mine when I put new shocks on and never have done one after new shocks. Actually, I've never heard that one before.

As the others said above, alignment is not needed after installing shocks.

In most cases it won't hurt getting it done, but shocks themselves is not reason enough to spend the money.

I put Bilsteins on my ST at 50K miles. Did not do an aligment. Put new Michelin LTX tires on at 55K miles and had the alignment checked then. It was fine. I had the vehicle thorougly checked at 95K miles. We replaced the ball joints and front wheel bearings (due to noise we heard, too) and had it aligned then. At 95K, the ride is still good, the shocks are fine, the tires are wearing very well and the steering is like it was new.