air silencer removed: best gas mileage yet!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
A week ago I removed the air silencer from the air box. I also drilled a 1.5 inch hole about 1/2 way down on the fender side of the box just for good measure. My theory was that I wouldn't see or notice any appreciable change to the truck around town, execpt for maybe a slight difference in sound. I figure a modification like this probably doesn't have as much impact at local/city driving, but would have some effect at sustained highway speed.

This weekend I drove to Michigan and back, 244 miles. I got 20.6mpg round trip! Best mileage to date was 19.6. So the initial evidence shows it might have had an effect. A few more longer trips are needed to show more convincing proof. This is the first time in a few years I've driven that far without the family in the truck, so I was a little lighter. Has anyone else experienced that? I also was really expecting no difference in local drving, but I think it's more responsive and less sluggish at stoplights and just general driving. Of course, knowing that I changed something makes me question if I'm really feeling it or if I'm just thinking I do because I know I changed something.

Anybody else notice any changes from this mod? Anybody have hard evidence (repeated mpg rpts) that show this effect?

--Bob

After taking out the silencer, and maybe enlarging the diameter of the intake hole, is there a way to get the cooler air into the box from the area that the silencer drew air from? Like a stealthy CAI?

Eltee,,also take the plastic baffle out form behind the headlight. It will open up more cool air area..

The best milage gain I ever got was putting on the KKM intake and replacing the exhaust with a Gibson cat back. Once you allow the engine to get more air it makes a big difference.

There is a lot you can do in the calibration to increase MPG as well.

But in the end the biggest factor is your right foot.

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

I read the project on removing the silencer without taking the box out because for the life of me i could not get the box out anyway and i was unable to pull the silencer out. I even banged on it with a hammer and it didnt budge. Looks like the box has to be removed to get the silencer out. Any suggestions?

Latest posts