Air Conditioning does not drip water after shutting down

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
Do you get a little puddle of water on the ground when parked after running the air conditioning?

I don't. And since I think this is common I am thinking that my drain may be clogged and that is why the air coming out of the vents smells.

I've taken it to the dealer and they addressed it but it keeps coming back.

What do you think? Thanks.

I don't get a puddle but I do hear teh drip hitting the hot exhasut and sizzling!

Speaking of A/C.....on the gen2 trac does teh A/C come on when using the defroster? Teh air coming out is cold, but the A/C light is not on!!!???

The amount of water that comes out of the evaporator drain varies with outside humidity. Here in AZ when we are not in monsoon season there is very little water that comes out due to there not being much in the atmosphere for the ac to remove. Now when the humidity rises some cars just pour water out the drain. It is possible that you do have clogged drain though.

nocturnal: Yes, it does come on. I remember years back I first saw this on a Honda, the AC light came on in those. I believe it is used to remove condensation from the air when trying to defrost the windows.

Doesn't hurt to check and see if the drain line may be clogged......

Todd Z

What does the tube look like and where is it located? What do I need to unclog it? A coat hanger? How long does it need to be?

I went under the truck on the passenger side and did not see anything obvious to me that looked like a drain tube. What is next to the tube?

Thanks for your help.

The tube sticks out of the firewall on pasenger side. About 2 foot down from the hood. You can see it fairly easy. be careful using a coat hanger, so you dont poke a hole in the wall or the evaporator. Not sure if it is rubber or pvc tubing. It is about 1/2" ID. If you have compressed air blow that in there.

Mookie,

You may not get water dripping out everytime you use the AC, but you should get some the majority of the time unless you live somewhere with little or no humidity in the air.

That can contribute to that swampy smell in the vehicle when the AC is on. It probably would be a good idea to crawl under the vehicle and stick a piece of wire in the hose and make sure it's clear....You can alos use a few shots of compressed air to blast and debris that may be clogging the drain.

...Rich

The AC does come on during defrost to dehumidify the air to clear the windows up quicker. Without defrost there are certain levels of temp and humidity that will actually fog the windows worse with the defrost on. They probably didn't have the AC light come on during defrost because of people that complained that they didn't want the AC, they wanted defrost, so there must be something wrong with it!

Latest posts