Air bag light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I could use a little help. The air bag light on my 01 Sport Trac is randomly flashing on. What do I need to look at? I recently had the shocks changed and the tech moved the steering whell to the up position (it hasn't been moved in the 5 years I have owned the truck). Is it possible there is a loose wire in the steering column?

Please help.

Thanks

Rick

2001 Sport Trac

51 MG TD

The number of times the light blinks equates to a number. The space means it is going to the next number...

Count the blinks and you can figure out the code, and do an Internet search ad it will tell you where the fault is...

Todd Z

Does it go thru the self test ok?

And it will actually be a a two digit code if it is in fact giving you a code. For example. Code 42 (Left Front Sensor) will be displayed as FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH pause (equal to the length of a flash) FLASH FLASH. It will give the code three times and then pause again and then move onto the next code if there is one..

Based on how you describe the flickering light I don't think your getting a code. Tilt the wheel back down and see what happens. There is a TSB on the wire harness in the column. It is too short and causes turn signal issues. I am not familiar with it causing AIR Bag issues.

How easy is it to remove the steering column cover? Does the wheel need to be removed? Is ther an easy way to get to the harness? There is no code when I start the car.

Thanks

Rick

removing the bag is easy. You have to remove the fuse from the dash panel and let it discharge for about 20 minutes. On either side of the wheel, 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, on the back you will see two nut covers. you should be able to pry them loose with a nail or small screwdriver. I believe the screws are 8 mm. Unscrew and the bag will be loose. Don't pull it as there is at least one electrical connector behind it. I suggest you not sit in front of the steering wheel while you're removing/replacing the bag, just as a precaution. However, the wiring harness mentioned above is in the top of the steering column and removing the bag isn't necessary.

Latest posts