Advance Auto's Platinum ceramic Pads' SUX

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Maybe it was a fluke. I cant get Advance to give an answer about normal wear life, of this pad. No compensation without the reciept. They cant find the sale in the system.

About 18months ago I did a complete and proper front brake job. On my ex's '08 escape. OEM's had almost 49K miles, with 5k to 8k pad life left. All the wearing surfaces were wearing equal.

I surface cleaned the rotors with my tool. Rotors wernt warped or worn or out of any spec. inspected the caliper movement. Piston movement was smooth in and out. I cleaned and greased floating pins and proper surfaces. completely bled the system with fresh fluid. I took care didnt slap pads on. Like I had to do one night last week. This will have to continue, cause of slight rotor damage.

The L&R outside front pads were on the metal. The inside L&R pads had 4k to 5k left on them. All was wearing evenly. Removed the bleeders. I could still push in and pull out the caliper pistons with my thumbs.

The problem is the best pad that Advance sells only lasted 36200miles. This is a light weight car. She is not a jack rabbit driver. She will barely stop at stop signs. The california roll stop we call it...LOL.

I expected double that wear. Advance wanted a reciept. So we bought the AZ golds instead @ 8pm. I just had to get her safely on the road for now.

I dont know about others. Thats why Im posting. That is real crappy service life from the most exspensive pad advance sells. None of my fault or components.

I wont buy again or advise them to anyone. Im not stuck on advance, so Im kicking them to the curb for all. I was getting my best syn oil w/k&n prices, at one time. That is when I stoped auto zone and o'reily.

When I know I did all needed steps and the wear is even but, pad use is half life. IAM PO'ED........:angry: They werent boxed wrong, the #'s on the back of the pads were correct. Maybe I got a special box 'cause the manager gave me a coupon price that online wouldnt honour and should have.:banghead:

I will say it just in case. Why am I still working on my exs' car?? Well we dont hate each other, and I do the same for, widows and older folks' from my church or neighbors, when I can. They pay for parts.

Any opinions how many miles those pads should have? The escape is much lighter than a Trac. Plus I dont use ceramics. I use PF carbon metalics.

I spent $99.99 on a set of cheap no-name pads and rotors imported from China on ebay. They lasted 48,000 and still had life in them. Just sayin'. The rear pads on my '01 ST are original with 30% left.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I refrain from buying "house branded" parts unless I'm absolutely sure they are identical to a reputable name brand.

Agree 36k doesn't sound unreasonable although TX is relatively flat terrain. Eddie, do you remember the method of payment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good reason to go with OEM. My 08 Adrenalin had 100,000 miles on it with the original factory pads and rotors. Earlier this year when it was time to change them out, it was a no brainer to spend the extra $$ and have ford put OEM parts back on it...

I still say that is not good milage for off the shelf pads. I used to get over 40k on AZ,s cheapest off the shelf pads. On a heavfier car I ran the crap out of. No prep just droped them in.

Steve I used my CC. The corprorate cant find the sale. So they say. I need to dig into 2 years of statements. Dont remember the month. To me these pads looked like thermo-queits. Our area of TX, is totaly flat.

stanner, who smoked screened you on common wear parts.

I disagree about factory pads being better. Ford dont make their pads. They shop for whats out there, and choose then make a contract. As they all do with a variety of these types of parts.

This has to do with something not being as they should for the price.

I changed the front pads on my '05 with pads from Advance. The only request I had was that they did not give off dust. They cost about $40 for the set. They have been extremely dust producing. Too late to do anything about it now.

They claim CARQUEST is making them now.....Or branding them....

I ONLY use EBC or Wagner thermoquiets PERIOD !!

Todd Z

I never said that OEM pads will last longer. You have a better chance of OEM stuff lasting longer, as they were engineered to work together. And just because it it OEM box, doesn't mean what is inside is the same as they put on at factory....

On my minivan I burned through a set of brake pads in about 30,000 but that was because the rear brakes needed to be replaced (as I found out later). On my Sport Trac I use Wagner Thermoquiets and they work well.

Two things. 1) I've always had good luck with NAPA ceramic pads. 2) Make sure the rear brakes are working properly. If the rears are frozen or malfunctioning then the fronts have to work harder and wear out faster. I hear a lot of people say "My front brakes wear out like crazy and the rears last forever", well yeah, that's because the rears are broke and not doing any work.

My goodness!

Lose a receipt. Disappointed that parts that are intended to wear sometimes wear faster than desired.

So, post a rant, when the vehicle wasn't even an ST, anyway?

JohnnyO, I did check the rears. At the time of the pads and full system flush. I checked them this time also. They were ok. We think alike.

NoHeat, Thanks for your no help blab-blab. When you have done brake jobs since you were 14 and now 65. Maybe you will run into many things like I have. That tee's you. There was no excuse for her pads 1/2 life. Me I would be lucky to get 25k. It may not be a trac. If you havent noticed we talk about other cars on here.

I promise I wont jump on you for posting your Rants......................:cheeky:

Latest posts