Adrenalin Owners - What do we do about exhaust?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone;

I'm a proud new owner of an 08 Adrenaline V8. I love everything, but its really lacking in terms of its exhaust note (none!). Now don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to make it sound crazy loud, would just love to have a bit of a V8 rumble (nice mellow tone without resonance in the cab and not too loud overall).

I have been a big fan of Magnaflow Catback exhausts (had one on previous Expedition) but they don't make a unit to fit the ST Adrenalin given that the pipes exit out the back.

Anyone have any solutions or know of anything coming out?

Emails to Magnaflow about an STA system (or about what muffler they use in their regular Catback system) have been unanswered...

Help!

Cheers;

Eric

STA in Canada

Last edited by a moderator:
For a muffler, I recommend the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40. There's nothing like the Flowmaster sound. I have a single out version on my '04 Adrenalin (4.0 V6), and I was complimented on the sound at a stoplight by a Corvette owner. He even asked if it was a V8!

I doubt you'll be able to run dual exhaust, because of the tight space underneath, and the IRS. Your best bet will probably be to just go cat-back with a FM Delta Flow 40 single-out with a custom tail pipe and tip. The FM DF 40 will give you the right combination of rumble, mellow tone, and overall sound I think you're looking for.

If you don't want it loud inside the cab but want a great rumble sound when you feel the need go with Flo Pro. Sound clips on their site

Sent them an email.

I have a Flowmaster 50 SUV on my 08 STA (V8) Im actually going to swap this out for the Flowmaster 40 I think... This 50 SUV is too quiet and doesn't sound mean at all.

I also have the 50 series SUV......I like it though! Just loud enough for me!

Here is a video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6zR5ML5f6E&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z6zR5ML5f6E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I put the same system D.Potts put on his. I didn't like it. I just put a Magnaflow 14236 on it with custom pipes. It sounds significantly better. It's a 5x8x14 Oval offset/offset 2.5 to 2.5. Straight through design. Excellent sound in the cab without reducing the quality of my aftermarket audio system. When I want to hear it I can. 10-11hp gain net.

I actually put the stock tip back on. After awhile I thought the left side Roush Mustang tip looked a little lame. It's just not as good looking imo.

I'll have exhaust clips this weekend.

Sorry to hear no one liked my setup,I thouhg tit was right on and exactly what the truck needed!? Sorry to have led you astray......I hope you guys are not toomuch in the negative on the checking account on that one?

D. Potts. I did like it. It just didn't have the sound I was looking for. At first I loved the exhaust tip. Dingo planted the seed in my brain that it wasn't cool! Like...right after that my wife said the same thing and it had to go. I bought all my stuff from performancepeddler.com for next to nothing. I didn't lose anything as far as my budget was concerned.

XST, I have not yet installed any aftermarket audio at this time. Actually, at 10am today (day off) I am going to my audio place to have the area behind the rear seat mapped out for a custom fiberglass, sealed enclosure. I'm thinking three 8" or two 10" JBL GTOs. I'm trying to have the amp rack built right with the subwoofer enclosure. The removal of the plastic border with the tool kit will have to be completely removed. At present I have two JBL 1202D subs with the shallow frame and they can't even fit without an enclosure. There is just no way to fit them in. I have a 4 channel JBL amp and a JBL mono amp. The 4 channel is running my front stage component set and the mono is to be running the DVC subs.

I will be ripping out the stock HU for my Alpine 9883. Sync is cool but it's not really that big a deal. I find it much easier to nav my Ipod with the Alpine full speed controls. I also want my EQ and sub volume control without sticking hacky looking crap on my dash.

Guys;

Thanks for the suggestions...

Psycareyo: This sounds like what I want... I like the Stainless Magnaflow products (I like Flowmaster too but had a system rust out on me, so no more...). In the absence of a complete Magnaflow system I will need to fabricate so a couple of quick questions for you:

- Did you simply remove stock mufflers and custom make pipes tot he back?

- Did you use anything else in the system (i.e. second muffler or resonator) or is it simply stock pipes from cats to the new muffler and then custom pipes out the back?

- Do you know if it compares roughly to the sound of the complete Magnaflow Catback system for the regular Sport Trac?

- Why custom pipes, to get mandrel bends or did you go larger, or did the install force new pipes?

- Any pictures you can send of the understide of the truck by any chance?

Many Thanks;

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Eric,

They cut out the stock muffler. Everything from the cat back. They fabricated two pipes I think (paid to have it done). I put in just the muffler. No resonator. I've seen a guy do this from these forums on his STA and I don't think it was worth the extra money at all.

Originally I picked the muffler right out of the Magnaflow 07-08 V8 Sport Trac bolt on kit. I dropped down one size to a 5x8x14 instead of a 5x11x20. I wanted a little more noise than the clips on Magnaflow seemed to have. The 5x11x20 is their largest muffler for that application. It's very melow until you stand on it. I do all my driving in the city so I wanted something with more tone at 1-3,000 rpm. I also found that I could not order the 5x11 seperate from the kit in polished stainless.

There is no point in purchasing the bolt on system from Magnaflow imo. You gain a cat back pipe and the rest you cannot use because the Adrenalin pipe goes out the back where as all the rest go out the side. The system was built for a side exit.

After the muffler was complete they put my stock tail pipe back on w/ the stock tip.

D.Pott's video actually looks about the same as mine except for the polished stainless and the exit pipe.

I'll see if I can get it on a lift in a couple hours and have one of my techs take some pics.

I'm not aware of any change to the exhaust on the new Adrenalin from what is on my 07 LTD. If I'm wrong I'm sorry. My muffler and heat shield is on the drivers side of the vehicle as the fuel tank is on the passenger side. I had dual Flowmaster 50's installed on edge so that the heat shield would cover them both and exited the drivers side just beneath the step bar in front of the rear tire. Works great. You should be able to do that with other mufflers also.

Jim

Latest posts