Adrenalin AWD transfer case

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S 3

Reaction score
I posted this a few weeks ago on ExplorerForum, but have not received much interest...

I noticed that the AWD Adrenalins use the 4405 control trac transfer case. This case has a low range, even has the shift motor on it. But as any adrenalin owner will notice there is no way to use the low range that our hardware should allow.

I purchased the 4x4 buttons for the dash, and unfortunately it is not as simple as plugging in the buttons. I thought it might since all of the wiring appears to be there...

It looks like the programming of the Smart Junction Box is not set up to allow the control of the 2 speed transfer case. Anyone know if the SJB can be reprogrammed by a dealer to enable the 4wd buttons and low range? Would replacing the SJB with one that came on a 4WD take care of it? I wonder if the AWD cluster menu item is tied into the SJB, and what else needs to be updated/configured when replacing the SJB... Are there any Ford Techs on here that could look into it?

I'd really like to be able to use all of the hardware that came with my truck, and kind of feel cheated that ford wouldnt just call it what it is and not claim the Adrenalins are all wheel drive... they are no more all wheel drive than the other second gen ST's they call 4WD... just neutered so we cant use low range!

Any help on this project would be appreciated!

I'll have to check but I thought you could go into your message center and lock the diff and go lo or high. I never messed with it.

I've not had a need for 4 low in about 8 years.

the message center options on the adrenalin are either Auto or Lock, which is the equivalent to 4wd auto or 4wd high. There is no way to use 4wd low that I know of.

i will googles it, but i have done quite a bit of searching and have not come across anything that applies yet...

SVT,

yup..

Mike, I have no need and dont see the need for Low unless its just to mess around and break something.... My adren will never see the off road or conditions where i need low range....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
SVT, its' referred to as the Brown Wire Mod, there is a good thread on it over on Explorerforum. I understand that the adrenalins are not off-road purposed, its more of the idea that I would like to be able to use all of the hardware that my truck came with for me..

Can also pull the fuse.... Or just unclip the motor..

Todd Z

They run in 2wd anyway unless the computer detects rear wheel slippage. Of course if you want to do burnouts then it might be an issue. :driving: :grin:

I read up on the Brown wire mod.. It's only for Auto4x4... It won't work on the AWD from what I'm reading... unless I just haven't found the right thread yet.

I didn't need to do real smokey burnouts but the launch/playful side of this blown machine changes 100% to the fun side with the front shaft out - Squats, Grips, and even chips 2nd -

Having that "fun on demand" would be worth chasing whatever wire needed - lol

WarpdSpazm, that's the thing, Adrenalin's dont really have an AWD transfer case. They come with the same transfer case that 4x4 sport tracs come with. Ford marketed the adrenalin as AWD but they really are ControlTrac automatic 4wd, with an unusable low range in the transfer case.

After more research, the Adrenalin comes with a Borg Warner 4411 tcase. The AWD Mountaineer came with a BW4410 Viscous true AWD case, but not the adrenalin. There may be some confusion there.

I am getting some great info from a member on ExplorerForum, who indicates that the Gauge cluster initializes the 4wd control module as a one speed system. If the initialization can be updated maybe a battery pull and reset could make the adrenalins realize that it is really a 4x4 and not AWD...

it may be possible, but traction control may cause issues, like I said check out the thread on Explorerforum covering the Brown wire mod. It's not something I am interested in doing so I don't really know a lot about it, sorry.

Latest posts