Administration Outsources Operations Of Six U.S. Ports To The United Arab Emirates

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point I am pretty much baboozled on this. On one had I have heard enough about it that my head is about to explode. On the other hand, I want to actually see the details.

Security still falls to the Coast Guard and Homeland Security, not the company. All the company does is oversee the operations of the port. Since it is a Port Of Entry, the US FBI, DOT, etc all have oversight in all aspects, including the hiring of workers, much as the FAA oversees the hiring of any airline worker (I know, I've been through the process).

All that appears to be changing is management.

What concerns me the most is that our US dollars will be flowing into Dubai (why else would a company make a $6.8 BILLION investment???). That concerns me as we don't know what/who/where the money will be spent on (ie terrorists).

What would a 45 day stay do to the deal? Why rush it? Let's see some transparency here folks.

I haven't yet found anything to back this up, but I heard this morning that the company is state-controlled. It's actually owned by the U.A.E gov't. And the U.A.E. gov't is supposedly the most pro-Western, pro-American gov't out of all the Arab nations in the middle east. So if the company is state-controlled, it would be financially in their best interests to ensure the safe, secure, smooth operation of these ports, in order to maintain profitability.

Here's the funny part about this with regard to the President: This is the first time that he's ever considered using a veto. Non-defense spending has increased at phenomenal rates during his administration, and he's never vetoed a speding bill. Nor has he vetoed any bill that increased the size of the gov't.

WTF?:huh:

People that I respect and are expert on defense and security (Joe Lieberman, Tommy Franks) speak out in favor of the deal and people I wouldn't let guard an outhouse (Jimmy Carter, Charles Schumer) speak out against the deal, I am inclined to support it.

I don't trust President Bush and his team on spending and immigration, but I trust them on terrorism.

Tommy Franks from newsmax.com

Tommy Franks Defends Dubai Ports Deal

Former CENTCOM commanding general Tommy Franks said Wednesday that the Bush administration was right to approve a deal for a United Arab Emirates-based company to run six major U.S. ports.

"We have more U.S. Navy ships using the port in Dubai, Jebel Ali, than any other port outside the United States," Franks told Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes."

The former Iraq war commander explained U.S. reliance on the Dubai port facility by saying, "We know he difference between an enemy and a friend."

"The Emirates is a friend," Franks aid. "That is the best run port that I've ever seen."

Gen. Franks said the Dubai company had three essential qualities that commend it for the task of running U.S. ports: The capacity to handle the job, the inclination to do it right and security, which he noted "will remain, in any case, in the hands of the United States Coast Guard."

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Jimz Ca(stro)rter has come out in favor of it, interesting considering this guy let our embassy sit in terrorist hands for over 400 days and did nothing....

I have sung to being in favor of it for a few reasons:

1) UAE has been a big supproter of the US War on Terror. I can imagine that they were rather imbarrased about the revelations of the 9/11 people.

2) We have several bases in and/or near UAE and would need their airspace if and when action is needed in Iran.

3) They control the largest seaport used by the US Navy outsode of the US and have had ZERO issues

4) They assist in keeping the Persian Gulf blockade free from the likes of Iran

5) They do have some persuasive powers with the Arab world

the biggest concerns that I have is the fact that they do not recognize Isreal as a nation and are technically still at war with Isreal.

They have one of the highest per-capita rates of Millionaires in the world. They are very pro-western and have become increasingly reliant on the US for is economic growth and tourism.

I see many possible downsides, but the tradeoff for airspace and land use in a future war with Iran maybe priceless, especially since Iran WILL NOT use a NUKE on a US Base in UAE for fear of reprisal from the entire Arab world.

R SHek - You are right, my joke earlier was that i was against it since President Carter was for it. I get so confused sometimes. :)

Good points about the UAE.

I think the real question is whether the UAE owned company take an active or passive roll in the managment of the ports. If it's a passive roll, it would be no more than you or I owning stock in Ford, but we cannot even get in the door. An active roll would be much more of a concern.

While they may not have any control over the security and customs operations of these ports, they would be given a very good observation platform to monitor the operations and identify weaknesses in the security that we all know exist. The less they see the less they know about what security measures work and which ones don't.

...Rich

On top of all the other concerns were have over this, I just have a hard time allowing or awarding a foreign company the money that comes with this.

I do not know of a specific company, but I am sure we have USA companies that provide the service required. It is billions of dollars we are giving to foreign companies in foreign lands.

How about making this simple and keeping the money here at home????

All that a-side, I do have concerns of the safety and well being of the ports/harbors. Once the items make it into the ports and harbors what is to stop it from making it into the country.

Geee, no chance of getting a dirty bomb on now is there????

Coastie says:
I just have a hard time allowing or awarding a foreign company the money that comes with this.

It's been a British company doing it for years, no?

5% of cargo gets inspected now, so security shouldn't be a concern going forward because it CLEARLY hasn't been a concern to-date.

The way I look at it is we want to provide long-lasting ties to the Middle East other than oil, and create some "Western Capitialist" goodwill, so to speak. Furthermore, we should keep our friends close and our enemies closer.

This deal COULD have been just the catalyst to change a lot (better security through necessity, viewed less imperialistically by the Arab world...etc.), but that's all moot now, because once again, this is dead due to "Media Frenzy!"

TJR

I'm not sure what is the right thing to do in this situation, but an interesting point is raised in this column. I've highlighted it in bold below.

February 24, 2006

A Dubai Finesse

By Charles Krauthammer

WASHINGTON -- If only Churchill were alive today, none of this would be happening. The proud imperialist would have taken care that the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co., chartered in 1840 by Victoria (``by the grace of God ... Queen defender of the faith'' on ``this thirty first day of December in the fourth year of our reign''), would still be serving afternoon tea and crumpets on some immaculate Jewel-in-the-Crown cricket pitch in Ceylon.

The United Arab Emirates would still be a disunited bunch of subsistence Arab tribes grateful for the protection of the British Navy in the Persian Gulf.

And we hapless Americans -- already desperately trying to mediate, pacify and baby-sit the ruins of Churchill's Empire: Iraq, Palestine, India/Pakistan, Yemen, even (Anglo-Egyptian) Sudan -- would not be in the midst of a mini-firestorm over the sale of the venerable P&O, which manages six American ports, to the UAE.

This has raised the obvious question of whether we want our ports, through which a nuclear bomb could come, handled by a country two of whose nationals flew into the South Tower on 9/11 and which has a history of laundering money and nuclear secrets from bad guys to worse guys.

Congress is up in arms. The Democrats, in particular, are in full cry, gleeful to at last get to the right of George Bush on an issue of national security.

Gleeful, and shamelessly hypocritical. If a citizen of the UAE walked into an airport in full burnoose and flowing robes, speaking only Arabic, Democrats would be deeply offended, and might even sue, if the security people were to give him any more scrutiny than they would to my sweet 84-year-old mother.

Democrats loudly denounce any thought of racial profiling. But when that same Arab, attired in business suit and MBA, and with a good record running ports in 15 countries, buys P&O, Democrats howl at the very idea of allowing Arabs to run our ports. (Republicans are howling too, but they don't grandstand on the issue of racial profiling.)

On this, the Democrats are rank hypocrites. But even hypocrites can be right. There is a problem. And the problem is not just the obvious one that an Arab-run company, heavily staffed with Arab employees, is more likely to be infiltrated by terrorists who might want to smuggle an awful weapon into our ports. But that would probably require some cooperation from the operating company. And neither the company nor the government of the UAE, which has been pro-American and a reasonably good ally in the war on terror, has any such record.

The greater and more immediate danger is that as soon as the Dubai company takes over operations, it will necessarily become privy to information about security provisions at crucial U.S. ports. That would mean a transfer of information about our security operations -- and perhaps even worse, about the holes in our security operations -- to a company in an Arab state in which there might be employees who, for reasons of corruption or ideology, would pass this invaluable knowledge on to al Qaeda-types.

That is the danger and it is a risk, probably an unnecessary one. It's not quite the end of the world that Democratic and Republican critics have portrayed it to be. After all, the UAE, which is run by a friendly regime, manages ports in other countries without any such incidents. Employees in other countries could leak or betray us just as easily. The issue, however, is that they are statistically more likely to be found in the UAE than, for example, in Britain.

It's a fairly close call. I can sympathize with the president's stubbornness in sticking to the deal. He is responsible fo

Coastiejoe,

Could you shed some light on the security aspect of this? Will DHS and USCG still be in charge of port security if this deal goes through?

TrainTrac,

Yes, USCG and DHS along with US Customs will still be incharge of security and inspection of all goods going in or out of the ports. the UAE owned company would only be managing the lphysical oading and unloading of the ships and containers. These will be predominately the same people who are doing that work now and are willing to transfer over to the new complany. I suspect that most would be teamsters and longshoreman working for the existing unions. I don't think we will have a mass influx of arabs to take over all these jobs, but then nobody has said what happens to the existing employees?

...Rich

These will be predominately the same people who are doing that work now and are willing to transfer over to the new complany. I suspect that most would be teamsters and longshoreman working for the existing unions. I don't think we will have a mass influx of arabs to take over all these jobs, but then nobody has said what happens to the existing employees?

Yes, I think it will a pretty seamless transition for the rank and file workers at the ports. The current owner is a British company. I read that over 80% of American port operations are now owned by foreign companies. But, they still employ teamsters, longshoremen, stevedores, and probably some other union employees that I can't think of right now. So I don't understand why the teamsters staged a protest here at our ports in Tidewater, VA this week. I seriously doubt that the new company is going to come in and fire everyone and hire all new workers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The more I hear about this, the more I'm beginning to think that it's much ado about nothing.

Question

Does anyone know how these shipping containers are checked. Do they all

go through some sort of x-ray, or is just a random check....

TrainTrac, sorry so slow. Been away for a few days...

Rich is correct. USCG and DHS will still be in control of ports and water ways. The specific issue is the actual security of the cargo both in and out of the Port. The accurate figure of 5% is the amount that is actually open and gone thru in great detail. The ports in question all have radiation scanners and with rare exception every container in and out pass thru these scanners.

All they are not fail safe but are very good over-all.

Personally, I hate sending the money over seas to begin with. I realize they have been British run and owned for some time. Does not change that I'd rather have it be an American venture. It is something like a 6 Billion dollar project. I have to think it would be nice to keep that money here instead of anywhere else....

All I can think of is the USS Cole event in Yemen, (I was there for that after the fact so this is more personal to me than most I guess).

The Port Authority was approved by the USA. They then hired workers on their own that did NOT go thru the screening process. Then we lose 17 sailors over a fuel agreement...

Tommy Franks says that the port at Dubai is the most efficient and secure that he has seen.

Pretty strong recommendation from a man with his credentials.

Not the only voice or opinion which matters, but significant.

Sending weapons to Osama Bin Laden was a good idea at one time.

Was it really worth it? As the families of those that died on 9/11 if it was a good idea.

Tom

Can you explain which of those weapons he used on 9/11?

Did you know that there was no direct American support of Arab jihadists in Afghanistan? We gave money to Pakistan and they trained and supported the mujahideen. The Pakistani ISI did not recruit the Arabs, they showed up with their own funding sources and fought along with, and tried to convert, the Afghans. Even Bin Laden said that he saw no evidence of support frm the US.

Is it conceivable that our support of the Mujahadeen postponed a terrorist attack?

Is it conceivable that nothing would keep them from hating us so much? After all, it is required by Allah to convert us to Islam, tax us or kill us.

Did you know that the first overseas deployment of American troops was to fight Islamic terrorists?

Of course, this is all Reagan and Bushes fault.