Additives and Oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Childs

Reaction score
Hi guys

Has anyone used the Gumout All In One Complete Fuel System Maintenance before? I don't have too many miles on my Trac (just under 17,000), but I want to ensure I can drive my baby until she breathes her last breath, and I figured that keeping everything clean where it matters most should help a lot. I have heard that deposits in the engine can begin to build up as early as something like 5,000 miles or so, and since I have tripled that, I am assuming that there is a pretty good chance that I have some deposits (especially since I get gas wherever it is cheapest). I was just wondering if this is a good choice to keep everything clean internally, or maybe there are better choices out there for so few miles.

Also, has anyone used the STP Oil Treatment? Again, I just want to keep everything running well so I can enjoy the Trac as long as possible, I'm not trying to stop any leaks or smoke or anything like that.

I'm sorry it's so long, but I just thought of one more thing; is it a good time to start using Royal Purple instead of regular oil? And what weight would I be using with so few miles (if it is a good time to go synthetic)?

Any thoughts are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

i would not use stp on my lawn mower never mind my trac... I only use lucas oil treatment and lucas fuel system treatment conditioner i have found it to be the best and i have read sll the reports... check out the site http://www.lucasoil.com/

in my eyes there is no other product around...:D

My grandfather used STP oil treatment with every oil change. When the engine died, we took the valve cover off, and the deposits were so thick you couldn't see the valves!

You only use STP oil treatment to make a car sound better long enough to get some poor slob to buy your car. So to me that means there is no moral reason to buy STP Oil Treatment.

I just dump in a bottle of regular fuel injector cleaner at every oil change (5000 mi.) and call it good. No problems ever.

An SM-rated oil is good enough not to need any additives.

No Lucas for me thank you, see link-----V

No additives, No cleaners....

93 octane ( due to tune) and synthetic oil....

Todd Z

i use mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 every 6k. on the fuel i run 87 but every 6 tanks i run 93 thru just to get better fuel through the lines. no problems ever. every now and then take off ur 4.0 cover in the engine compartment and spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body and other parts. that will get your injectors and fuel system cleaner than 30 bottles of that gumout stuff.

Squeeze the snake until oil comes out. Sell that oil for big bucks.

Save your money. Use good oil, change it on a regular basis, and drive it forever.

Tom