Adding 4x4 to a 4x2 sport trac (yes I know this is a bit of a moot point but...)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Donaldson

Reaction score
I am interested to know how many unique parts there are on the 4x4 vs the 4x2 sport trac. It seems I have to replace the timing or jackshaft chain which is a job and a half and wanted to see if while I was at it I could add a 4x4 system. So if anyone knows what 4x4's are compatible with my 01 trac or how i could get a parts list I know there more than a few wreaked explorers out there to get a transfercase /locking hubs from. My price limit for adding 4x4 is about 1200. aftermarket 4x4 if it is reliable is a real possibility.

If this is really a moot point then I suppose any after market suggestions for making the truck ok for loose sand would be awesome every once and a while I have to drive into some job sites with sugar sand and stock 4x2 is killing me. :D

Forget adding 4x4 to it, at least not for $1200. Spend the money on a better set of A/T tires and a Powertrax No-Slip for the rear end. Also, let some air out of the rear tires to help traction in loose sand.

Not and expert but there is no way that I see you adding 4x4 for 1200, I just can't see that happening even if you do all the work yourself. In addition to transfer case you might as well do a total front end swap not to mention the computer interface mods that would be required. Better offf buying a new(another) trac in my opinion......

Yes, see if trading your 4x2 Trac plus $1200 on a 4x4 Trac is a workable deal someplace.

Or get better tires and a Powertrax.

P.S.

Always remember:

A 4x2 is a two wheel drive truck.

A 2x4 is a piece of lumber.

:lol:

In the case of the Trac., you will need the following that I can think of of the top of my head.

Transmission, transfer case, COMPLETE front suspension, (axles, control arms, etc etc), drive shafts, front axle carrier, wiring and switches, various mounts.

And I am CERTAIN I am missing things, the point is, yes, it can be done, but with modern vehicles it is much more of a challenge then of the vehicles in the past.

Aren't the frames, or subframes, different as well? I know on the Rangers they are and those aren't far off from STs.

Rangers use coil springs on regular 2wd (non-Edge) models, and torsion bars on the others. That's why their frames are different. Our frames are the same, I'm pretty certain I remember seeing the mounting points last time I was under the truck. Coastiejoe pretty well covered what's needed, except I believe the control arms are the same for 2wd and 4wd.

most of the ST stuff is the exact same 4wd or 2wd..

Todd Z

because the rangers and sport tracs are very similar based drivetrains, heres a ranger that went from 4x2 to 4x4 with a torsion bar suspension...

Also, In my opinion, yes you can do the ENTIRE swap for under 1200, only if you find the parts for the right part, and do the work yourself.

I was going to do it myself, but then changed my plans with my truck again.

the biggest thing to think about, (at least on my 04 trac) all mounts for the front pig are already there unlike a ranger Edge. A rebuilt replacement 4x4 tranny will run you about 600 on average, but if you know someone that can rebuilt them, its very easy to swap the output shaft and housing (and other minor parts) for under 300-400 in parts. Heck I picked up the housing for 25 bucks on ebay. As for a transfer case, Id personally go for a manual transfer case because of this big reason: NO WIRING, NO COMPUTER CONNECTIONS. All you do it attach it to the tranny and its done (well, mostly, besides loose ends. i.e cutting hole in floor for shifter). Remeber that you would need a new rear driveshaft as well, but the front control arms (upper and lower) are reusable.

You're best option, find a wrecked/rolled 01+ ranger 4x4 or sport trac for 1200, swap the parts over that you want, and then sell the rest to regain costs.

And, just to give you an idea how cheap it can be, i had everything lined up for under 600 bucks total. But the wife made a good point about not letting a drunk rebuild my tranny for a 12pack..hahaha

ScottG

The problem is i know it can be done for 1200 because sport tracs are roughly a 99-02ish explorer or a 98-06ish ranger or just find a poor roll over trac. but i still need to find out how to get a shopping list. But just beefing up the 4x2 with a new diff. and nice tires would do well to.

-I wont sell cause I got the deal of a lifetime on the trac i have... got it for 8 grand back in 05 and I really dont want to shop for a trac that may have had the living you know what beat out of it which is always the deal when shopping for a 4x4.:D

heck even cheaper than that... divorced transfer case. Ever heard of one of those?? a ford divorced 205, then the front diff and axle assembly. i had an idea of making mine 4wd on some 38's with a dana 44 front and ford 10.50 rear...

Latest posts