Added back up lights.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh ryan 3

Reaction score
I wanted to show you guys my new addition to the st. I added some auxillary back up lights. All in all the project wasn't that hard, but some parts where a pain. I took some pics but didnt wanna put it in the projects section because MIKE EGAN did a great job explaining how to do it, i did mine based off of his and added the switch to the left of the steering column. I love how they came out.

THANKS AGAIN MIKE IF YOU STILL ARE ON HERE, FOR THE WRITE UP OF THE PROJECT, HELP OUT ALOT.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Looks good man, you might wanna check with local and state laws around there to make sure it's legal to have blue tinted lights on your vehicle.

I know they light up white but here in Pa. I've had issues in the past from cops with my fog lights that looked blue but are white when lit up.

Virgina police use all blue lights, right, be careful driving through there too, you never know.

Back when lighted blue ovals were popular, the Wisconsin cops had a field day nailing people for "improperly colored lights." $181 fine, IIRC. Here, blue lights are reserved for police...period.

The cops' latest target: People with blue-tinted headlights.

[Broken External Image]:

I like them but man if there was some way to get them inset into the bumper that would be the bomb. I have never had the bumper cover off so I don't know how much metal there is back there that would need to be cut into.

I was thinking about inserting them in the bumper but i liked the look of them below better, and ya i got them off ebay for 50 bucks.

the light themselves aren't tinted, i bought these actually at pepboys as "foglights" its only like blue plastic, but in my area cops dont worry about the color of the lens as long as it lights up white or red or amber or cool blue depending on location of them on your vehicle

I put mine on my Waag rear bumper guard. The left one is a rear fog light and the right one is the backup light. The stock backup lights have been converted to amber turn signals. I was going to bring my ST to England a few years ago, but chose not to accept the job I was offerred there.

[Broken External Image]:

Nice job.

When I had my ST, I had the "White Knight" kit that mounted onto the hitch. The hitch was still useable. They worked great. You could turn them on at the mount if you needed light to work by.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Chris

Great project. I too have considered this mod. I will be using a smaller light housing preferably round and booting it at the corners of my rear bumper. I believe I might just splice them directly to my backup lights. Anyone think that's not a good idea? Let me know

Great project. I too have considered this mod. I will be using a smaller light housing preferably round and booting it at the corners of my rear bumper. I believe I might just splice them directly to my backup lights. Anyone think that's not a good idea? Let me know

I have a pair of 35w small oval shaped lights. I bought them for another car years ago. Never used them. I have thought of doing the same on my trac.

I believe I might just splice them directly to my backup lights. Anyone think that's not a good idea?

Arturo, I would use the backup light wire as a trigger, for a relay. Too much current drain on BU light wireing.

That is my plan if I do it that way. But it would be nice to have a switch in the cab. They might come in handy for lighting, when parked.

I have had pair of 55 watt back-up lights tapped into the factory circuit for 7 years. The total current draw about 13.6 amps on the 15 amp circuit. The original fuse is still in place and works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts