AC recharging

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fer Echegaray

Reaction score
I'm going to recharge the AC tomorrow, but I don't know where the low fitting is to apply the re-charge...

I see 2 places that could be it, one close to the battery (driver side, near the battery), and one closer to the firewall on the passenger side.

Do you know which one is it?

TIA:cool:

The fitting are two different sizes.

The side you need to use is the low pressure side. It is always closest to the evaporater. On the Sport Trac, it is on the dryer. (passenger side)

Tom

Let me know if it all goes well. What product did you use? I have bought 2 cans in the past for 2 different vehicles and niether one fit right so I couldnt do it.

Thanks,

Peter

We sell a kit at work, and the fitting on the kit will only fit one fitting on the vehicle. If it doesn't fit, it's not the right port.

I refilled the Focus last night, I bought a can that has a polar bear printed on it, I don't remember the name, and it went well, I think ;)

The fitting on the focus is hidden behind the wheel liner on the front passenger side, I'm glad the ST has it on the engine compartment.

I think mine needs it done, I have to use my MAX AC all the time.

The only difference between "normal" and "MAX", is that normal cools outside air and max recirculates the inside air. When driving around is 90 degree weather, it is better to cool air that is already cooled in the cabin then to cool 90+ degree air. The only time you should use normal AC is when the interior of the vehicle is hotter then the outside air or during a day that it isn't that hot.

If you run normal AC when it is really hot, you are just wasting energy because the AC has to work harder.

Tom

Tom also on max the ac compressor will stay on longer and will not cycle as much...

FER, make sure your low on 134A first, IF your not, your just going to overcharge the system...

I must have filled 4 trac's with 1 small can in the last 6 months. I have the kit Jeff C spoke of. IT will only fit the low side by the computer with a black cap and it has the gage so you don't over fill...

Todd Z

Remember that the hotter the ambient temperature when you are filling, the higher the pressure in the system. So if you fill when it's cool out, you might be overpressure when it gets hot. A lot of guages don't mention this.

I will do this tonight, last night i took into account the ambient temp and followed the table in the directions of the product...

One question:

Do you know if the ST will shut down the a/c system if overcharged?

I know some cars do, I guess the ST should, too....

An overcharged AC system will cause a compressor to hydraulic lock and create a hammering sound (because the compressor can't compress a liquid) but a low system can cause bearings to fail in the compressor. A bad bearing will knock when the compressor is running.

ALL ac systems have a low pressure and a high pressure switch, BUT why find the high pressure limit !!!!!

IF your using that as a safety, you should not be working on your truck, and have a shop look at it.....

The operating pressure is well under 1/2 the high safety....