AC Compressor Starting to Grind

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My AC Comprssor is starting to grind. (sounds like that at least) Should I replace it before it contaminates the system? Sounds like its the clutch but I'll just replace the whole compressor while I'm at it.

Put my ac on the other day smelled some burning from the car(my car I think) but now its working again.

Any thoughts. (should I let er blow first):(

Thanks ahead to all those Sport Trac Enthusiasts. You guys rock:cool:

Same thing happened to my wifes car this year. About two months after the grinding noise, it stopped working. Turned out to be the clutch. I replaced both the clutch and compressor, because I figured it is a 2000 car, and if the clutch went - I am sure the compressor is next. Not to mention it would have cost me about $100 for a new clutch, and the trouble taking it off and putting on a new one. Where for another $125, I could get both parts brand new, and already attached to each other:cool:

The clutch is replaceable if it is only the clutch or bearing.... There are shims you have to install, but it is way cheaper then messing with the A/C if you don't have to...

Clean the clutch first, it may just be dirty.. ALSO check the belt and tensioner... The A/C loads that stuff heavily..

Todd Z

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see if it needs cleaned. The belt n tensioner look fine.

I think if I catch it early enough before the Compressor goes, i can get by without replacing the orifice tube and evaporator. Just not letting the system be open to long when i place the new compressor on!!!

Latest posts