ABS light goes off and on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

Hi all.

I have been noticing ABS light goes off and on depending on road and humps etc. Is there anything I should do to stop this from happening?

do I need to have it checked?

I just had Brake fluid replaced a couple of weeks ago.

thanks.

Jose

It may be a bad wire or sensor... IT can be scanned with the Xcal or by a shop and they can tell you the code...

Give us the code and we will tell you what needs to be done..

Todd Z

Todd,

i just plugged the Xcal II and there were no codes available.

I guess next time it happens, I will try to connect when ABS light is still flashing.

Jose

Xcal can not read ABS, the ABS works on a different system from the OBDII stuff. The most likely culprit ((happened twice to me on Ford trucks) is the rear ABS sensor.

Before you replace it I better ask if you have a 4x4 or a 2wd? If if is a 2wd you could also have issues with the sensors/rings in the front end. On the 4x4 the most likely cause is the rear end sensor.

To answer you last question; You'll need to replace it, try a search and see what you can find on here, there have been posts on this before. If I recall correctly the sensor is around 50 bucks or so. Compare that to getting the ABS computer codes checked at the dealer for 80-90 bucks. If that rear sensor doesn't fix it I guess you'll have to get it read though. If you have the 2wd you might be better off getting the codes read to see what is up.

Good luck :banana:

I was able to read my ABS codes ( Not air bag) with my xcal....

Todd Z

i have the same problem abs light flashes with no pattern some times when i cold starter in the morning. same thing happans wit da radio it turns on and off like nothing and the speedo neddle jumps around from 0-20 mph when its stop. i checked code nothing, checked wiring and nada so for now im driving like da until i come up with a solution.

I was able to read my ABS codes ( Not air bag) with my xcal

Does the ABS system store codes? When the light comes on and goes off again later will it remember the code, or does one have to wait until the light is on again?

Olaf,

My light was on steady it never went off....

I believe the MATCH or snap on special tools can retrieve the 'Stored" codes..

Todd Z

Yeah, Spelling error..

Todd Z

Latest posts