?? About lower T-stat housing, Survey

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
At what milage did you members, have your lower T-stat housing start leaking??

Im at 80K. I know low milage...LOL

Debating about getting ahead of a breakdown. Thinking of ordering, the cast aluminum housing on Amazon. While it is available. I believe the maker is a private individual. The housing may not always be available. Actualy it is made for the '05 'stang 4.0L

My plan is to always have my '04, hope, hope...

Thanks for the reply's

My 04 Sport Trac started leaking at 75k last year. I replaced it with one from Amazon and I have not had a problem since. Cheap and works good. I also replaced the sensor as well since it was pretty corroded and I had a hard time getting it out. Thermostat and hoses checked out fine so I reused them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Around 57K for mine Eddie. Started as a very slight seep and progressively got worse. Previous owner cheaped out and was using only tap water for 35K, although they seem to fail on all earlier 4.0L SOHC's. Read posts #44+ in the linked thread below, one of the EF resident gurus has a leak issue with one of the early replacements. Not sure if it's been resolved.

The plastic is cheaper. I will go with the aluminum. It will out last the motor.

Worth it to me not to have to change it again.

If I ever need a motor. I will transfer it.

6 years, 99k, and mine isn't leaking yet (knock wood). I did have to replace the thermostat itself this winter.

Eddie- I know you avoid EF because of computer issues. Here's the first paragraph from the link. I will update you on any of his further posts. I advise you NOT to buy it until resolved.

After replacing the plastic lower thermostat housing with a metal one and running the engine for about five minutes coolant dripped from the front and rear of the block. I tried tightening hose clamps and top and bottom housing section accessible bolts but still have leaks. I can't identify the source of the leaks but think it might be the gasket between the upper and lower sections.

Never leaked, Replaced at 130K with t-stat.

Todd Z

approx 120K/approx 8yrs

- no early signs of leaking. It just "blew" one day. Temp gauge instantly went to hot and lost most of the coolant within 2 min.

Replaced at about 209K Miles on my '02. At that time it was leaking slightly and coolant was low.

Went with plastic as I didn't want to wait while awaiting a mail order metal housing.

My truck was 12 years old with 120,000 miles on it when it started leaking literally overnight. Woke up to a puddle of antifreeze on the garage floor.

Thanks for the reply's.

Steve,

can you post the link. I will see if I can get the page to load.

My download speed is 25mbs. I never can understand why EF take so long to load. Then sometimes it trys to reload while Im veiwing it. Drives me crazier than Iam....LOL

Good timing Eddie, appears he resolved the issue today. See last posts on page 3. BTW, link is in my first reply above.

Thanks Steve,

I had the same problems as before, with ef loading, then jumping up and down when I scroll.

Im going to email the guy that makes them. Hope the horses' mouth I can get my answers before I buy.

Eddie- Here's his last reply regarding the issue.

20 psi & no leaks!

The Mityvac MV 4560 Cooling System Pressure Test Kit is an extremely useful tool. As soon as the pressure in the cooling system increased to 0.5 psi I detected (heard and saw) a leak between the upper and lower thermostat housing sections. Upon inspection I found that the flimsy paper gasket had misaligned when the two sections were pulled together when the bolts were tightened. When I installed the upper housing I questioned the need for the paper gasket since the stock housing did not have one. The system is designed to be entirely dependent on the thermostat gasket to prevent leakage. There is a tapered edge on the bottom of the upper housing that aligns it with the bore of the top of the bottom housing when the bolts are tightened. The edge presses against the thermostat gasket sealing the system. In my opinion the paper gasket defeats the original design. The thickness of the paper gasket reduces the pressure of the edge against the thermostat gasket. Since it also misaligns easily I advise against using it. Since I reused my thermostat gasket I applied a bead of RTV Blue along the edge of the upper housing where it mates with the lower housing. I let it cure for 24 hours after loosely tightening the bolts initially, then further tightening after 2 hours and 12 hours. My radiator cap is rated at 16 psi. When the pressure in the system reached 14 psi a slight leak occurred at the top of the lower radiator hose which was stopped by tightening the clamp. At 16 psi a leak occurred at one of the heater hose ends which was stopped by tightening its hose clamp. There were no more leaks even though I increased the system pressure to 20 psi and held it there for about 5 minutes.

I bought my job one a few months ago with about 127,000 miles. While replacing the front hydraulic tensioner I decided to replace the thermostat housing. It had been leaking enough to corrode one of the mounting bolts. It looked like it was slightly seeping out of one of the sensors and out of the bottom gasket. I replaced it with the 4 seasons housing that included new sensors. So far so good.

Latest posts