A Whole lot of Shaking going on...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill M

Reaction score
Here is my problem with my 2001 2WD ST job 1 First is that I have always had that slight shaking through the steering when parking etc, Sometime I have it sometimes not. I see by looing at the posts that was was a TSB for it but I never knew it , so I guess I will replace that some day maybe sooner than later. Now for the BIG problem, I was having a bit of a problem with my truck wandering a little on the highway and especially when I hit rougher road, I also had a little banging noise when going over bumps. Keep n mind the shocks and lower ball joints are new and the front end feels noce and tight as it should. I felt the problem on the right side so I jacked it up to check and found the outer tie rod end very loose, I replace the tie rod and I thought I was done, exceot for maybe an alignment. I just took it for a test ride and the steering wheel beagn shaking violently, then it went away. I hit a bump it shock again and then went away. I drove down the highway and evrything was going good and straight etc, then hit a small bump and it shook and then went away. I sit still and I do have that shacking through the wheel. Could this all just be a matter of a bad power steering pump ????? HELP !!!!!!

I don't believe it is a power steering problem. It appears that there is a damping problem when you hit a bump. You may have a disconnected or broken shock. The alignment may be completely out causing the problem more of a caster or camper setting rather than toe in.

Sounds like the inner tie rods are bad, Wheel bearings, or something else in the front end...

I can say it is NOT the pump...

Todd Z

Thanks Mike. I checked the shocks and they are in tact with no leakage present. The wheel shakes as if the wheels were way out of balance. the steering wheel goes back and forth like in a rapid tug of war. But then it goes away and is smooth a ever

I think I might try pulling the bearings and checking them and repack them if they are ok. That was my original plan because I thought I was hearing a bearing wine at 60mph. But when I pulled the r/s wheel I found the real bad outer tie rod end and blamed it all on that.

I don't think it is a wheel bearing to me. A bad inner tie rod, as Todd Z suggested is a good possibility. Something is loose or broken.

Latest posts