A very sad find

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary DiPietroSr

Reaction score
A friend's grandchildren found a dead American Bald Eagle. Their aunt works for the CT DEP and she got permission from the state to recover the dead bird. It was very sad to see such a majestic creature that way. She is taking it in for examination because it had a leg band from Maryland. In this picture, you see my hand holding it's foot showing how large it's talons were, and they were as sharp as fish hooks. The bird had a wing span of 6 feet. Very sad.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
indeed a sad find. But it must happen to all creatures. I suspect no foul play?

I am sure you are aware but there are bald eagles in your neck of the woods along Rt 8 on the river

see my other post to you?

Yes Mike, we've been watching the pair of eagles on Rt 8 for years. What post are you referring to? Never mind, no I was out of town. Didn't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
good thing they had state permission, friend of mine was hunting in alaska two yrs ago.

They also found a dead bald eagle, he took a wing feather as a souvener (SP)

He got arrested at the airport, detained, had to pay a huge fine and now has a federal arrest record.

I'm always in awe when I see those. I guess they too must die like everything else, but they are special, aren't they?

Just an awesome symbol of freedom.

Like I said, she works for the DEP. They are going to try and determine the cause of death. The head and beak were a sight to see close up too.

Gary, that sucks. I guess its Mother Nature at work. I've only been a couple of feet away from one and they are incredible birds. So sad!!! BC

Back in my sophomore year of college, a professor of mine decided to host class outside seeing that it was a nice day. We sat in this area where there were flowers and vines going up the side of the building. Well we saw a hummingbird flying around flower to flower. The professor noticed and told everyone to look (approx 15 students). The bird then flew near the middle of the circle of us students, stopped, and the apparently just died in mid air. It just dropped and didn't move. Everyone just stared at each other not saying a word for about 5 minutes. I broke the silence and just said, "well, its going to happen to all of us one day." class then moved back inside.

We had a guy see a Bald Eagle in the river drowning during the cold winter. The man jumped in to save it. The police were called and animal control was called. They put the bird down.

Seriously, the Bald Eagle is no more important that a sparrow, a robin, or a squirrel.

They are all precious lives.

Tom

Seriously, the Bald Eagle is no more important that a sparrow, a robin, or a squirrel.

Don't really see that, but it is irrefutably more impressive, except in sound. The actual bald eagle cry is about the sissiest bird of prey call on Earth. Oh, and squirrels suck.

good thing they had state permission, friend of mine was hunting in alaska two yrs ago.

They also found a dead bald eagle, he took a wing feather as a souvener (SP)

Those Alaska hunting regulations are anal. I remember reading that if you find a dead bear during your hunt, in one of the non-staffed preserves, you are responsible for stopping your hunt, and bringing the hide and claws to the nearest park facility. That's ridiculous. (Especially since it applies to anyone venturing the lesser-known natural areas, not just hunters.)

Don't really see that, but it is irrefutably more impressive, except in sound.

Ben Franklin would disagree with you, but that is a different subject.

My point is that regardless of the animal's looks or actions, each and every life is precious and deserving of the utmost respect.

Tom

My point is that regardless of the animal's looks or actions, each and every life is precious and deserving of the utmost respect.

That sounds like the doctrine of those mendicant monks who had to sweep the ground in front of them with a broom, lest they accidentally step on some bug and kill it. (Jainism)

Your ivory tower philosophy there doesn't work in the real world. Ticks? Kill 'em. Squirrel in the chickens' feed? D-E-D. Opossum in the chicken coop? Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Ben Franklin would disagree with you, but that is a different subject.

I don't recall Ben Franklin saying that they sparrow, robin, or squirrel were mightier than the Eagle. I remember famed facetious statements about the Turkey, however.

Also, Ben Franklin & I disagree on much, he is romanticized beyond belief. History & the man's own (incredibly dry) autobiography reveal him in a lesser light.

I remember famed facetious statements about the Turkey, however.

That is what I was eluding to.

Your ivory tower philosophy there doesn't work in the real world. Ticks? Kill 'em. Squirrel in the chickens' feed? D-E-D. Opossum in the chicken coop? Terminate with extreme prejudice.

I never said that I worship the animals or believe in never killing an animal. I did say that each life is equally precious and not one animals life is less important than the other.

Just because an eagle is dead, I am no more sad than if a horse or pig was found dead in the same situation.

I will kill anything if it needs killed, but I won't kill the animal for the sake of killing it.

Tom

Latest posts