A Question For Anyone Running a K&N CAI On a Gen 2 V8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I recently came into possession of a K&N CAI that was missing the filter. I know the one that comes with this kit is a 6" long conical filter. But I'm curious as to whether or not there's enough room for a longer 7" or 8" cone filter to fit on the end of this pipe without rubbing or hitting anything. Is there enough room inside the "airbox" portion of this intake for a longer cone?

There isn't much room left over from the inner fender after the 6" cone is installed, you may get a 7" but it will be tight and a pain to service.

e3321e4bf70c4894e92ee896861ca951.jpg

7a85ceaa5460b09f00b760a39283389c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'd be worried getting the filter any closer to those wires with vibration and engine torque. I had one on mine for a while.....it looked great and sounded cool (but I'm past the cool sounding age) and actually my gas mileage went down so I removed it and sold it. I like the quiet of stock but the K & N CAI sure looks good!

The only time I get annoyed with the sound is when I am towing a heavy load which has been quite a bit lately. I just turn up the radio to try and drown out the noise. :grin:

Also the stupid adaptor K&N uses takes up a good inch plus !!.....

You could probably cut the tube too for more room..

Todd Z

Also the stupid adapter K&N uses takes up a good inch plus !!.

I just ordered a 6" S&B PowerStack filter from Amazon. It doesn't use the K&N adapter (I was missing that also). It has a 3.5" end that clamps right on to the pipe.

I hadn't considered the adapter taking up space now that you mention it. Once I get the 6" filter & try it, if it appears that a 7" will fit, I might return the 6" filter for a 7" one.

Latest posts