A good video about a Canadian couple's experience w/single payer healthcare

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
A good video about a Canadian couple's experience w/single payer healthcare...sorry if this is a re-post! Maybe some of our Canadian members can shed some light on public healthcare!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4u5x9XAsAs

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with Health Care in Canada has been good.

Essentially anybody that requires Medical treatment gets to see a Doctor.

My Dad is elderly and he has got all the tests and treatments he needed.

David:

So, this would be a rare instance?

'07 ST:)

Never a problem with our health care either, but there is no perfect system thats for sure. Yes there is some long waits for some things, but it all depends on the urgencey of your problem i.e. bad knee but still mobile, could be a bit of a wait, blown out knee and can no longer get around or in great pain, boom! front of the list.

Looks like just another propaganda video too me.

Anywho, its apples and oranges, from what I understand what they are proposing down there dosent resemble Canadian health care at all.....no??

Cheers, Todd

I don't think they really know what they are proposing. I believe it is like 900 pages and hard to read. I think that is the real problem...no one on either side of the issue knows what is really being proposed. IMO, why would we want to vote for something with a lot of unknowns. It makes me wonder about the motives of those who are proposing it. Why would I want the government who has made Social Security, Medicare, the Postal System all bankrupt, run ourhealthcare system?? If the Chinese loan us enough money, we can get ourselves out of this mess...LOL! Sad indeed!

At any rate, thanks to our Canadian members for their real opinons of government healthcare. I'd like to hear more..

'07 ST:(

The waiting lists are in place for a very good reason in countrys with single payer systems.

People on the lists with serious conditions often die before surgical intervention.

saves money.

Americans,

Would you want goverment-run auto insurance?

I suspect most would say "NO!"

Why does anyone think we want a government-run healthcare system, especially one that still has private insurance and company sponsored insurance.

Such a system would just cause a huge divide.

Leave well enough alone. Put some reforms into the current systems, mostly insurance reforms. Have insurance companies provide different policies; lower cost for younger people, higher cost for older people (akin to auto liability, collision and comprehensive). Give doctors huge, huge tax breaks for doing "pro-bono" work.

TJR

Right on TJR

Most Docs do not do Pro Bono work as they get no Tax breaks.

I actually know surgeons that use the barter system for patients that cannot pay.

You own a body Shop? I will do your surgury, you fix my wifes car.

What I don't get is that a majority of people in this country don't want a single-payer healthcare system.

So my question is: Why is our government pushing one down our throats?

TJR

Like everything else this new administration has impliminted

from car czars to bank Czars

YOUR NEW REGIME WANTS TOTAL CONTROL OVER YOU.

Bill,

But, but.... but, the job of governement is to serve the people. That has to include acting on the will of the people

So what are the people to do with the government is doing things that the people do not want?

TJR

The only thing I can say as a Canadian who uses our medical system a lot is, I am happy I live here.

21 months ago I had a small stroke, it effected my right arm, I thought I just slept on it wrong. So I went to work, but after a while I got worried and left to goto the hospital. I walked into the emergency room, got triaged and was in to see the doctors in less then 5 minutes. Had a CAT scan within 30 minutes setup for an MRI in 5 days, setup to see the Stroke clinic in a second hospital the following week. Was put on Meds right away, Aggrenox (sp?),

At the Stroke clinic, I had my MRI results, then went in and had a Ultrascan on my neck, and had a second CAT scan with a blood dye, and setup for another appointment the next day.

Had the results at the next appointment, 75 - 80% blockage of my artery on my left side.

Doctor told me he wanted to get in into surgery, but I guess he might have forgotten until after the new year.

Was contacted to meet the surgeon within the week, had an a date for surgery the next week.

Just over two months from the date it happen to the date of surgery.

After that first stroke experience I did not have another episode, guess the drugs were working.

Got into the hospital around 9 am, around 10 am or so I was climbing up onto the operating table. 3 hours later I was being wheeled into the recovery room. 3 days later I was on my way home, 3 weeks later I was back to work, desk jockey for about 3 months until I had my strength back.

Total cost to me?? $25 and a 7" scar from behind my ear to the bottom of my neck.

I think that was pretty cheap.

So I think the medical system here works fairly well.

Don

I keep on thinking that they will restrict medical care to the elderly since they are drawing SS, if they can get the old people to die sooner, then they can save money on the SS payouts. Maybe I'm cynical but I don't like the gov't getting involved with the healthcare. it can be used for control and fear. for example " if you elect these people, they will take away your medical insurance" The Dems have been scaring the old people with the SS stuff for years. There needs to be some reform, but we still have the best medical in the world, why would I want the gov't to screw it up.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

MY CANADIAN OPINION:

First of all, you people need to realize that these videos are made as part of the propaganda against the movement to publicize health care. I haven't read up on the debate too much, but what I do know is that these videos are being pumped out by the dozens.

Its the same case in each video. "So-and-so from Toronto had a brain tumor, had to wait 6 months to be seen. He/she went to the States for immediate treatment and the Canadian gov't refuses to reimburse their bill."

What the American viewers of this video fail to realize is that the couple feautred in it most likely were on a waiting list for one of the MAJOR hospitals in Toronto, a city of about 4 million people. Of course their hospitals are going to be crowded. So.....this "poor unfortunate" couple didn't think to try to be seen by a hopsital in a nearby city , such as LONDON (which has one of the best brain cancer clinics in the world) where there is a population of about 300,000. Do you think there would be a 6 month wait list in London?! HELL NO.

So don't let this retarded propaganda fool you. In Canada, we have been scrutinizing these commercials and identifying the lack of truth in them. Afterall, people will say anything when they are paid enough. I wonder how much it took for "Edna and Earl" - or whatever their names were - to sell out their own country.

This is Canada and if you don't like the way things are done, then don't let the door hit you on your way out.

I think there is a lot of merit in both systems. But I have never had an issue with the Canadian health care system and my family has had to use it A LOT. We've always received care within days of having first addressed the problem and never had to pay a dime for it.

Last edited by a moderator: