A good brand of tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rheava B

Reaction score
Ok i just recently purchased a 2001 ST and it has the GOODYEAR Wrangler RT/S tires (all in good condition). What is another brand of tires that I could purchase that is better than these. Just to describe the type of driving i do daily I do a lot of highway driving and don't really do any off roading (at least not yet). If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to pass them on.

Thanks

:D

Bridgestone , sears private label, Nitto.

Just the ones I have had good luck with..

Todd Z

I like Michelins when I can afford them. From what I've seen on this board, any set of four for $99 no-name tires would be better than the factory Goodyear Wranglers.

Yohohama HT-S is an excellent street tire. Price is better than most. Quiet ride, excellent wet traction. Check the ratings on tirerack.com...

Michelin Cross Terrains for me. They are a great all-around tire for any condition. The Toyo's mentioned above are a great tire also.

Just last week I had a set of Yokohama Geolander HT-S tires installed.

What a difference!!

I paid $540 for everything (mount, balance, allignment, etc.).

If you want something fairly low cost that looks nice and holds up good...Wild Spirit Radial MPT (Wild Country Radial APT in some areas.) I had two sets of these on my Explorer when I had it and easily got 60K per set and they weren't completely worn out. Excellent wet weather traction on highways. A friend of mine uses Toyo Open Country HT with very good service.

My OEM tires were Michelin's and I got over 70K out of them. Currently I have TOYO Open Country A/T and have over 50K on them now.

Personally, I am not as satisfied with the TOYO's and will probably go back to Michelin when I need to change again.

I'm on my third set of tires which are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza model and like the very much. As far as Goodyear tires are concerned it depends on the model, and have seen good reports for the Fortera Silent Armor Triple Tread here. Check The Tire Rack as well for top rated tires.

Factory Michelin Cross Terrain SUV rode nice but we only got about 45K out of them...

We just mounted our third set of tires (92K on her) and we used Firestone Destination LEs the last two times. Nice wear and ride quality for about $50 less than the Michelin. If money was no object I'd put the Michelin's on, but it isn't for us right now! :(

Mark

I had the factory Michelins... I got 8500 miles on 'em and two were at 2/32" and 2 at 4/32".

I heart my Toyo Proxes S/T.

I am sold on BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A tires. They are affordable, wear great, ride nice, are quiet, and perform well in snow and mud.

Lets not forget thet BF Goodrich tires are made by Michelin. I had a job at the plant in Opelika, AL. While walking around the plant, one of the employees there, one of the hourly employees working as my assistant, showed me how many tires the say BF Goodrich when they are made side by side as the michelin tires are. They pulled the core, or whatever it is called, right off the same cart. The only difference was the tire mold. The actual tire construction was identical.

Tom

Goodyear Forteras. I've had the Silent Armour model for about 25,000 miles now, and they've been great. I've also heard good things about the Fortera Triple Tread.

I got 76,000+ on the OE Goodyears, then switched to the Yoko Geolander HT-S at Discount Tires. Installed, balanced, and the warranty was still less than $500. So far, am very pleased. Smooth ride, less road noise.

Almost any brand of tire is better than the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires that Ford puts on the Sport Trac's

It all depends upon what you are looking for in a tire and what you are prepared to spend. If you are looking for strickly a performance tire you will get a very short treadlife. If you go for long wearing tread, you will get a harder tread compound and ususally less wet weather traction. If you drive off-road, you will need more of an all-terrain tread, which may be noiser on the highway.

If you stick with a brand name like Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich, and only purchase their primium brand tires you will probably be happy, although these premium tires can be exspensive. Just remember that like all things, most tires are a compromise and one tire does not fit everyones needs. You must decide what kind of tire best fits your driving conditions and style, and pick the tire that best fits your needs and your budget. Nobody can do that for you or for me.

Many of the tires mentioned above, I would not want on my Sport Trac because they don't fit with where I drive, and how I drive, but they may be the perfect match for that person.

...Rich

I realize I will be criticized for this--- but----- wal-mart sells a Uniroyal Liberator. Wonderful tire for the price--- good tread design-- smooth and extremely quiet. The way these tracs are on tires--- go with the Liberators. They handle very well in the rain, wet conditions. I do not do any "winter" driving (snow)... I live in N.Florida so conditions are the same year 'round. Thanks,Brad

I like Cooper tires. I don't know if they are available in your area. We have them on my wife's Liberty. I've had them on several vehicles and have always been pleased.

Latest posts