A Couple of Problems...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M 2

Reaction score
Don't know where to start... my optimism goes up and down with this truck (02 two-wheel drive).

I can hear the IAC thump, usually two times, whenever the idle gets low. The truck acts like it wants to stall. Is the idle too low? I know spec is 675... just looking at the dash tach (I know, it's not totally accurate) it is right around 600. I don't own a handheld to check it.

Likewise, the ST Gremlin visited my truck again this morning on the way to work. I switched lanes to pass someone, and as I accelerated, the engine stuttered and died. Sucks.

I've done just about all the cleanings and change-outs recommended on the site (SeaFoam, IAC, MAF [twice], TB, new fuel filter, etc.). I just bought a Motorcraft PCV valve and hope to install it early next week when I put on the Zabtack TB that's coming.

What sucks the most is I'm constantly working on this truck. Heck, I like to work on it, just not all the time. It'll run fine for about two weeks, and then the problems start all over again. I'm just about at my wit's end... :(

Would like suggestions/guidance if anyone cares to offer...

Know when to "cry uncle" and take it to a shop. Sometimes this is the shortest way to a solution.

I have not heard the IAC on mine at any time. Are you sure it is the IAC you hear?

Yep... that characteristic "paint can" sound...

If I can't take care of it soon, I will indeed take it to the shop...

I beleive your close to Tom Caymen, I am sure he can help you diagnose and repair....

Fuel filter ????

Todd Z

Broken Common elbow ???

Todd Z

I just checked that elbow last weekend... even pulled it off to inspect it. May have to do so again.

It quit twice on the way home from softball. Once, I was accelerating and the engine just stopped... no sputtering, it just quit running. That was weird. Then again, after I started it, it sputtered and quit. I started it again and accelerated through the sputtering, only to have it lurch and jerk along for about 30 seconds until things smoothed out.

I'm almost afraid to drive the thing, and really starting to get discouraged... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the fuel pump is on its last leg. I just remembered my '88 T-bird was doing simular. Lucky when it quit I was turning onto my street and coasted to the driveway. Had to drop an almost full 22gallon tank.

I had a Toyota Supra back in the 80's. Gas was scarce, as it is now, and ''gasohol" came into vogue. Some stations only had it and no regular gas. Reluctantly I filled up with the stuff. About half way through the tank, my car started doing what yours is doing. I'd let it sit for a little while and it would start up...for a while.

Finally, I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it right away.

It seems the alchol in the gas dissoved some of the gaskets etc which clogged the filter and sending unit in the gas tank. They dropped the tank, replaced needed parts here and there and it was as good as new.

The foreman told me not to ever put gasohol in it again.

Could you have possibly fueled up with the E-10 (unleaded plus) they're selling now?

But it does sound like a fuel problem to me.

I'm no mechanic, but I play one on TV. :lol:

Jerry, nope, when I fuel up, I ALWAYS make sure to get Regular Unleaded, 87 octane. I'm super-careful about that... I can't afford anything else!

Thanks, I'll try these suggestions...

Okay, here's what's gonna happen in my next round of maintenance...

1. Bolt on the Zabteck TB (thanks Todd Z.!)

2. Replace PCV valve (bought the Motorcraft... $16)

3. Replace gas cap (per recommendation above) with the locking Ford cap from Eric @ Walls Ford... great price and courteous folks up there

4. Pray...

5. Pray some more...

6. Maybe clean the MAF again

7. Pray some more... :)

If this don't get it, it's off to the shop... :(

Actually i would skip all of what you have planned to do and take it in. I had a feeling that the fuel filter that you put on last week wasn't the root source of your problem. Anything you do from this point on may exacerbate the problem...expecially the throttle body. You could possibly have a fuel pump going bad from you description, but if I remember you trac is relatively low mileage and Fords "usually" have a good track record in the fuel pump department. I think a quick check of the fuel pressure and a current ramp pattern of the fuel pump is in order but I am guessing that you don't have the equipment for that so you may just have to admit defeat here and save yourself some money, time and the inevitable tow bill that is just right around the corner and take it in to a "good shop"

Latest posts