A/C Shrader valve replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about changing out the shrader valves on both the High

and Low sides of Gen 2 a/c unit. I bought a Mastercool (MSC81490) which is a

R134a shrader valve removal/installer tool for changing out the valves without loosing

your charge. The only problem is the removal tip on the thing doesn't fit either the

High or low side valves. I have turned the web upside down I think and can find no

additional tips of a larger size for this tool. The tip has a set screw so I know it can

be replaced but can't find anything to replace it with. The High side valve is a large

one and need a wide bite tip and the Low side valve is smaller but still not what they

call a standard size. I purchased a kit with replacement valves and dust caps & the

size valves I need are in the pack but not information provided with the valve kit or

the removal tool at all.

Thanks Y'all

Jim

I had this exact same kit, tried to use it once and then threw it at my tool dealers head, it's garbage. I don't recall offhand but on some of the Fords the low side schrader valve is a complete assembly even though it looks like you can just remove the schrader valve, the complete fitting unscrews from the line but you need to evac the sytem beforehand. The high side does use a "super size" schrader valve, it can be removed with a pair of small needle nose pliers if you have to but that's not going to be possible without pulling the refrigerant out of the system as you wouldn't be able to use your tool that you bought.

Cut the old ones out and braze some new ones in. Besure to have the nitrogen purge going while you do the brazing. Vacuum to <500 microns, and weigh in the proper charge.

Not a big deal if you know what you are doing and have the proper equipment. Bottom line: get an auto a/c repair pro to do it if you don't.

Are the valves leaking ??? Are you just adding refrigerant ???

Todd Z

Another cudo to EddieS'04, we got the shraders out pulled a vacuum and recharged. System will now pull down to 44 degrees and now leaks. Again I have to say that Eddie is an excellent example of a man who lives his faith and beliefs. It was so hot I know I sweated out over 2 quarts and Eddie must have lost at least a gallon of fluids before we finished. I know many of you on the site know how Eddie is but for those of you who don't he is a real man and a real American.

Thanks again Eddie,

Jim:banana::supercool:

System will now pull down to 44 degrees and now leaks.

I hope he meant no leaks....LOL

Your welcome Jim. Thanks for the kind words.........

Also I have to give a thanks to an old time inactive member, Greg Grimes. For some tech info about R134a. My experiance and tech info is mostly, R12 and R22 systems..:supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts