98 Honda Civic - tune up question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Mulhern

Reaction score
I know it's not an ST...but there are very knowledgeable people on this site. This is actually for my brother....he had a tune up completed on his car recently and now is having some issues. He took the car to Honda (this time) to have them look at it and they said since he didn't use Honda spark plugs and wires, that is why he is having the problem. I'm assuming if the gaps were incorrect on the plugs and or the wires were put on in the incorrect firing order, the car wouldn't idle very well if at all. The car idles fine, the problem is when he is trying to drive it. It will buck/shake as if it's a new person driving stick, his is an auto (CVT). He was told the tranny checks out fine and there are no error codes on the computer.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you everyone!

Marc

It is possible the firing order and gap are incorrect, But the plug type as long as it was not some no name junk or racing plug, he should be fine....

I say remove the plugs and check the gap.....

It could be the distributor, they are known for going.....

The dealer just wants their stuff on there....

Todd Z

Thanks Todd....unfortunately my brother couldn't check the gap in his teeth and I don't live anywhere near him. I will tell him to have the dealer check the gap and firing order and the distributor as well.

Thanks again!!!

Marc

if he has the auto cvt trannsmission that probably means that he has the civic Hybrid. In that paticular vehicle it is very hard to diagnose a problem that nobody can look at, and if it is doing that but is in reverse that is normal for the vehicle. if he is in drive when it is doing that and is still under waranty I would tell you to take it back to the honda dealership that he bought it from and it should be covered at no cost to him. Everything on the hybrid vehicles are so complicated that even the most knowledgeable person on Hondas would be lost.

Brett, as far as I know, it isn't the hybrid. It's the HX model, not sure if that helps. I just found out that he had the plugs only replaced. Not sure why. I told him to have the cap and wires looked at as they, and the plugs, can be the problem.

thanks again everyone! I love this site and its members!!

Marc

Sounds like a plug wire was not on right or one is bad or was damaged during the plug replacement...

Todd Z

Sounds like a problem I had at one time with my wife's 1996 Civic. Thought I would replace the plugs with a set of Bosch Platinums. BAD idea. Car ran terrible under a load (accelerating). Had it checked out and the plugs replaced with the OE NGK V-Power spark plugs and the problem was solved.

I agree with Frank. Put the OEM NGKs back in it, properly gapped, torqued, with anti-sieze and dielectric compound. Problem with sparkplugs will be solved.

Bosch plugs have had way too many issues on many different forums for many different types of cars. Best to use OEM plugs unless the engine has been heavily modified (cam, turbo/blower, etc.)

I've heard about problems like this with platinum plugs in general. I remember hearing somewhere that the spark off or a platinum-tipped plug isn't as good as a standard oem spark plug. The only real benefit from them is that the platinum tip lasts much longer, allowing you to use them for a longer period of time. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's what I've heard.

Latest posts