98 Grand Am Won`t start!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
My daughters 98 grand am 2.4 quad 4 automatic, will not start. She ditched the car about a week ago, but it did start up until last night. I have replaced the lower control arm, inner tie rod, and front sway bar links. I went to garage to move the car, turned on ignition, started car, all went as normal, car started, ran for about 3 to 5 seconds and shut down. Engine still turns over normally, while cranking it sounds like it fires on maybe 1 cylinder occassionally, kinda sputters, then only keeps cranking. I really need help getting this car back on the road.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Erv 01 ST

Check the fuel cutoff switch. The manual will show you where it is. Reset it. If that doesnt work. Jump it out, to make sure it is not bad.

Already checked fuel cut off switch.

When it started, ran for 3 to 5 seconds then shut down like right now. didn`t spit or act like running out of gas. More like lost spark. But can`t check if getting spark because of the type of ignition, without special tools, and pulling top of motor off.

Maybe pump is damaged from the jolt of the wreck. Have someone turn the motor over. See if each plug wire will jump to ground.

Im not familuar with the spark on that motor. Does it have plug wires or coil on plug? Either one should jump to ground.

I just went out to try to start again. It did the exact same thing. Started ran for about 2 to 4 seconds and completely quit. Like no spark. Shut key off, and then would only crank with no fire.

Eddie, it has IDI ignition system. Integrated Direct Ignition. No plug wires. Runs on 2 ignition coils, ignition module a crankshaft sensor, and a secondary conductor housing..

We had one. Got rid of it.

Of all the problems we had with it, I do not recall that issue.

Tom

Dont know how to check it. Maybe google it. I would think a bad crank sensor could cause it. It is the feedback info for the ecm to know when to fire a particular cylinder. Also when to open the fuel injector, if multi-port.