9005 ST lamps in the fogs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
For those of you that use the 9005st bulbs in fogs instead of oem 9145's.

What has been your service life? I have gone thru 2 pairs in 2 1/2 years.

I have the 9007 st/ultras for head lights for 3yrs. They are still bright as new.

Im just not getting service life from the 9005 ST's, in my fogs.

I realize there maybe more heat in the housing. I just like the lighting I get on the back roads at night. I dont wont to add extra lights. Not the look I want.

When I travel the country roads going to moms. It is is very dark. I turned my lights off one time. It was as if you put black tape on your eyes..LOL

I've been running 9145 SilverStars for about 6 years. Had one go out on me last year. I run with them on all the time when the headlights are on, so I'd say that a five-year life span is pretty good.

I never ha dluck wit SS in the fogs..... i run the stock oem number and all good....

are you sure your not tuching the bulb when you install ???

Todd Z

Todd, I always clean the bulbs with alchohol wipes. Then Im very careful not to touch.

I recieved this email from sylvania today.

I'm sorry that you're disappointed with our product. We do offer a warranty replacement policy however only for lamps performing under 12 months in life from the date of purchase. The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions and proper installation. The average life of SilverStar(r) headlights are approximately one year. With our SYLVANIA SilverStar(r) products, the primary goal is to offer the brightest, whitest light. Research has shown SilverStar(r) headlights improve driver visibility and reaction time. However, since our SilverStar(r) headlights are up to 35% brighter and our SilverStar(r) ULTRA headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they have a shorter life span compared to our other products. We offer a wide variety of products to satisfy customer needs including brightness, durability, color options and increased visibility. http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/ You may want to consider the XV XtraVision line of products, while not as bright as SilverStar(r) they're a robust premium performance lamp worth considering. We understand too that you may want to try Philips or GE and for products with similar light output, you'll find the same life tradeoff. I personally use the XtraVision and I really like them. They average 2-3 years and provide just the right lighting for me. You may like them too. I've also shared your performance expectations information with our Product Development team for future consideration. I know they've worked very hard to create this high performance lighting and the life trade off is not right for every user. Regards,Customer Service1-800-729-3777

It seems like once a year I have to replace my 9005s in the fogs. I do run the Sylvania's.

What's most brutal about this whole thing is that only one bulb goes out at a time, though I replace both at the same time. So I have a whole collection of 9005 bulbs with half their life or so left :(

I do enjoy the extra light, especially on the really dark roads in conjunction with the brights (genius MyST project), and it's a good thing as none of my local auto retailers stock 9145 bulbs, and while I do love my online ordering, if I need a headlight, I generally need it now. Not in the 2 days that I get for free via Amazon.com Prime :banana:

Latest posts