8,800 pennies!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Forbes

Reaction score
Anyone else think this is ridiculous? i know you can refuse to do business with certain people, but what do you do if you have their car?

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mzc8vS-ac-g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mzc8vS-ac-g&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Gotta love those 300 lb plus LEOS:lol:

have 750 lbs of pennys in 12, 5 gal paint buckets,hauled them down to the re-cycle place when copper hit 3 bux a pound, they cannot take them.

the bank will not take them unless rolled, what to do?

Bill, take them to a Walmart or grocery store that has a CoinStar machine. They'll charge you a service fee, but you'll get rid of them. You might also try another couple of banks, preferably a main branch. When I worked for SunTrust years ago, we had a coin sorter/counter in the back of our main branch that took loose change and it just went into bags that were picked up by our armored car service. At the time, I don't think we even charged our customers.

some banks will let you use their machines for free, I'm surprised your bank won't.

I would guess that you have about $1,200 in pennies there, it's be worth it for you to buy a machine that rolls the pennies and roll the damn things yourself.

How did I get to $1,200? Pre-1982 weigh 3.11 grams, after 1982 they are 2.5 grams. If you assume you have 50/50 then it's 2.8 grams, 750lbs/2.8 grams is 121497.956 pennies, divide by 100 and you get about $1,200.

Of course you probably have more then 50/50 for 1982 so you may have a bit more, up to $1360.77 if it's all post-1982. That doesn't count if tarnish makes them weigh more or if there is dirt on them, etc. etc. I'd go with the $1,200.

I wouldn't expect a metal place to take pennies since they're only copper plated.

greattt. i hate those tow truck companies anyways they deserve it. i got towed once at the beach and caught them while they were towing it away. they said give them $100 and theyll drop it. so i said yea cause if not it wouldve been around 300 if they actually took it. they get away with anything. their manager probably doesnt know they kept those $100 ya know? bunch of idiots they deserve customers like these guys

That's hilarious. Turns out it happened here in Tallahassee.

If I ever get towed by those guys, expect a repeat performance. :D

Bill if you want to get copper prices for all those pennies as they are worth more than 1 cent worth of copper, you could melt them down, assuming they were made before 1982. After that they are zinc coated copper. Just don't get caught doing it.

Bill,

That's exactly what I did. Filled a huge water bottle a while back with about $1,200 in chance and rolled everything but the pennies. Just takes too long to roll too little.

Some Coinstar machines even offer the option of forgoing the % charge if you accept the payout as an iTunes, Amazon or other gift card. That's definitely the way to go.

Saw something on TV a while ago saying it is your own "property" and you can do anything with it. IOW, it would not be "defacing" government "property. I think History Channel.

"They" could be wrong. Check with the authorities FIRST before "smelting". LOL

If you do the coin star thing, they take a percentage if you want cash, if you get a gift card, I got one for Cabelas, you get the full amount.