$61,000+ in bonuses

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Stuhlsatz

Reaction score
MACHINISTS' BONUSES WILL BE $61,440 EACH

JERRY SIEBENMARK, The Wichita Eagle

About 4,000 Machinists employed at Spirit AeroSystems in Wichita will get a bonus like no other - $61,440 in cash and stock, to be exact.

That's the final figure Machinists will receive following last week's initial public offering of Spirit's stock, the union said in a release today.

Union officials said the total value of the payout to members - called the Union Equity Program - is $246 million in cash and stock.

The payout was negotiated as part of the collective bargaining agreement between the Machinists and Spirit. The bonus plan was in return for union members agreeing to cuts in wages and benefits.

Spirit was created after Canadian-based Onex Corp. acquired Boeing Wichita' s commercial division in 2005.

"Not only did we preserve jobs in the wake of a major corporate restruct uring, we also negotiated terms that ensured our members would share in the success of the acquiring company," Bob Martinez, Machinists union general vice president, said in a statement.

Here's how the payout works:

-- Before the end of December, each Machinists union member working under the Spirit contract will receive $34,556 in cash, which is 56 percent of the total payout.

-- In March 2007, they will receive the balance of the payout - $26,884, or 44 percent - in stock. They will receive shares of Spirit's Class A common stock at $26 a share, which is the price of Spirit stock at the opening of its IPO.

The stock began trading a week ago Monday on the New York Stock Exchange. It closed Monday at $28.39 a share.

Both the cash and stock payouts are in pre-tax figures. Machinists spokesma n Robert Wood said it's impossible for the union to know how much in taxes will be taken out for each Machinist.

"Everybody in town should be happy about this," Wood said. "The long-term value of having these high-value jobs will help this city, hopefully for years to come."

Reach Jerry Siebenmark at 316-268-6576 or [email protected].

Thats great for the employees,

wounder what it does to product prices...

Todd Z

Merry Christmas!!!

Maybe this will entice some more students to consider machine tool as a career. Missouri employers are turning down millions of dollars a year in machining work because they don't have enough employees to do the work. We have many excellent schools, public and private, with lots of capacity for training additional students, but parents and counselors don't want their kids to consider machining as a career (maybe it pays too much!).

Todd, next time you board a Boeing 737 etc.. to fly somewhere. Look at your ticket prices. This is where it will hit in the end.

wounder what it does to product prices...

It will let the prices rise as usual, but the CEO will get a bigger bonus.

Per the original post, the bonus is in exchange for a pay cut. It looks like the company is giving the guys a bunch of cash to get their finances in order, then give them less cash in compensation from that point on. See the quote below.

Honestly, I would take a pay cut if I were given that bonus. That would pay my house off and leave some cash to buy a nice car. With those two items paid off, I could afford to take a pay cut.

The payout was negotiated as part of the collective bargaining agreement between the Machinists and Spirit. <font color=black>The bonus plan was in return for union members agreeing to cuts in wages and benefits</font>.

Tom

after taxes they might see $20,000.0 from the 35,000.0 maybe if not less.

should never give up benifits there worth more in the long run

Spirit Aero Systems used to be Boeing Commercial operations in Wichita. It was always seperate from the Boeing Military Company. They shared the same site at MacConnel AFB. Boeing has been selling its fabrication and subassembly operations over the years. In St. Louis they sold the fabrication and composite business to GKN [an English company] several years ago. The former Boeing employees in Wichita took pay and benefit cuts when the business was sold. The bonus agreement was a part of their new union contract agreement. So, even though it is a lot of money at one time, it won't make up for all of the lost wages over several years.

It also said Cash and Stock. What is the breakdown? Stock falls they don't get that much money in the end. Been there and done that! I remember getting 20K in stock options. In the end the stock price was below my options price.

Honestly, I would take a pay cut if I were given that bonus. That would pay my house off and leave some cash to buy a nice car. With those two items paid off, I could afford to take a pay cut.

Stay a year or two and move on. I'd take it too!

{edited... re-read raym2's comment... sorry}

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts