6 speed hard downshift

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S KRX

Reaction score
I have an 07' Sport Trac V8 with the 6 speed auto transmission. I have noticed that the transmission sometimes downshifts really hard into first when I'm coming to a stop at a traffic light. I can actaully feel a small jolt when it happens. It doesn't seem to happen all the time, but when it starts doing it, it happens at every traffic light. The truck only has 6000 miles on it. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just the way the 6 speed operates or is it a problem? I don't want to bring it in under warranty if I don't have to, because my local Ford service department is really slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club. You can try Dingo's module reset trick. There is also a TSB out there, but it doesn't completely resolve the problem either.

there are loads of threads about this, Dingos method aparently works,

I had my 07 in for service 1 year ago, they performed a tsb on it, it was fine for 2-3 weeks, then it came back. then, I had it in about 2 months ago, they fixed it, and it has been fantastic ever since.

I have a real good dealer in my area, the technician really spent a lot of time to fix mine.

the dingo method is easy and wont cost you anything so it may be worth a try.

good luck.

I took mine in twice for this problem and after the last TSB, the problem has all but dissapeared. I don't love this tranny but I can live with what it does now. The tranny is the item I'm least happy with on this vehicle.

'07 ST:D

My transmission has not given me any problems on my '07 (knock on wood). My only complaint is that the second gear is too tall, and it refuses to shift down into first unless it is almost at a complete stop.

Ok, I just did a search and found all the other posts on this issue. I guess I'll bring it in for the TSB. Thanks for the help.

I'd try the "Dingo Fix" first.......would be less time then having to go to the dealer and wait.

I had the issue first come up in August @ 5,000 miles and took it in for TSB 08-04-16.

The issue went away, but returned after a month or two.

I tried the "Dingo Disconnect" and all my shifting across the board preformed quite spastically.

As for the bump, this remedy did absolutely nothing.

If I recall correctly, Dingo specifically mentions this method only if the TSB has not been preformed.

I didn't find that post until after I tried it.

I took the truck back to the dealer in December @ 10,000 miles for TSB 08-24-04.

So far so good!

I am however only 600 miles into the new TSB and holding my breath. :blink:

So far I've only had one REALLY hard bump, but not the annoying "every-stop-bump."

adam states,

"More of a recurring rash"

a rash the ford doctors cannot cure :(

why must we learn to live with this issue ? UNACCEPTABLE !!!!!

I recently reinstalled my fastpartsnetwork 87 Octane tune, installed the Zabteck TB and did a quick "The Dingo Fix" at the same time. Since then I've been driving it harder and driving it much more often then I used to. It's been about 2500 miles and I've had absolutely no transmission or Metronics related problems. Mine is a 4.6L 3v V8 with the 6 speed automatic.

I will say that there is still a delay with downshifting when I floor it! It sometimes doesn't shift all the way down to 1st at low speeds and sometimes it does. It does shift a little slow with it's new found horsepower and torque. Nothing we can do about that until we can manipulate the TCM.

I've had the latest TSB reflash done about a month / 1k miles ago with no problems. I think it's worth the time to take it in.

Gary,

I cant Wait till you have 1 issue with that Toyota.... I bet we will never hear of it..

Todd Z

tz,

you will, but i highly doubt there will be any. remember it is a toyota ;)

so in your opinion, the tranny crap should be accepted and we should live with it ?

NOT ME !!!!!!!!!

Latest posts