5R55S Trans pan drop

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Price 2

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm getting ready to do a "pan drop" on my fathers 07 ST, 4.0L. How "re-useable" is the re-useable gasket? I know it's been down at least once before by a garage. How many times have any of you re-used it? I'll most likely order the gasket anyway when I order the filter. Just curious.

Thanks, Mark

As long as the o-ring impregnated to the metal, looks good. No cuts or flat spots. It is reusable.

I had the same type on my '94 'stang 302 cui valve covers. never had to replace them after many tear downs.

I am a worry wart - For 15-20 bucks I replace.....

But they are completely reusable.

ALSO you need a special pump to fill that tranny and procedure. I recommend buying a new drain plug as well.

Its a pain but easily done.

Todd Z

On the gen1 4 speed. measure what you dump. put the same back in. drive it and get it hot check to see if level is correct.

Definitly install a drain plug. I like the one made by B&M if I can find it. Sometimes speed shops have them on the shelf. Mine didnt so I used the one from advance auto.

The B&M has a larger drain hole and pipe plug threads. The others have a straight thead plug and o-ring seal. Mine leaked so I recut the treads to 1/8" pipe and used teflon tape.

Eddie, He said his fathers Gen 2.

Todd Z

I just did it a week ago on my 07, 4.0, 4x4 and it is a pain. You have to buy a special nipple for the drain plug, have a good pump, the trans cooling line disconnect tool and a lot of patience. Also, without a lift it will be very awkward and more difficult especially to pump in the new fluid. The OEM filter is much better quality than the filter kit replacement gasket and mine was in perfect condition and resealed nicely.

I have the factory manuals which provided important guidance and comfort as this completely sealed trans was different than any I had ever done before. After some research regarding at what temp the level can be checked without the scan tool I was told that 8-10 mins from a cold start will achieve the proper fluid level temp.

Mine did not come equipped with factory trans cooler which I now want to install. I recommend doing that at the same time since I have to repeat much of the same procedure over again now.

Todd Z is much better wrench than I. Now that I have done it once I would do it again but...knowing what I now know, I think I would have paid a shop to do it.

Thanks guys:supercool: I'm going to go ahead and order from rockauto. They have the Motorcraft filter for $18.15 and a Fel-Pro gasket on "wholesaler closeout" for $8.74.

I have the special drain "nipple". I think it's an OTC brand I got awhile back. Also, I have a pump and Motorcraft MerconV. IIRC the trans should be at 120F? when checking level. I have a scan tool, but my dad has the ScanGuageII hooked up that reads TFT. I recall there were some pretty good youtube vids on this exact procedure I will review before proceeding.

...The main reason I'm doing this is an attempt to "smooth out" his harsh and delayed transmission engagements from park to reverse to drive and vice versa. I've already cleared his pcm(fordtechmakuloco youtube video)(different than Gen1's) to re-learn shifts a few times. It helps for a short time. If this doesn't work, I think the next step is to replace the "control solenoid pack". Big $$ Yikes! (also a fordtechmakuloco vid)

Steve..what trans cooling line did you have to disconnect? I guessing you replaced ALL the fluid. I'm just dropping the pan(partial fluid change)

Actually, I think a software update from the dealer is in order here. I suppose I could do the pan drop and have him take it to the dealer for an update. It hasn't been the dealer since he bought it a few years ago. No history known us.

Todd Z.. why the suggestion on a new drain plug? I'm just removing the torx screw to refill. Does that little sucker leak? Darn, rockauto only sells a Dorman pack of 5 drain plugs. $26.79 No singles.

Eddie.. I've considered installing a drain plug on my Gen1 a few times now. I've done the pan drop a few times now and it's not a big job to me just to drop the pan. To be honest, I'm scared to death of drilling into the pan. Especially on my dads ST that I cant monitor daily. If it did leak, I'd be embarrassed in front of the old man.

Removing the torx does not drain the pan.... you have to remove the whole plug, The rubber o ring drys out, Yes some ultra copper can fix that But I am one that feel a few bucks now is better off. Ford sells it I believe.

I have seen them totally rusted in and not come out, (Salt belt here in NY)

And now I have a spare with a new o ring, cleaned and painted nice ready for the next explorer or ST I work on so I know I will have no issues. :)

Todd Z

My '07 Limited V8 4x4 had the delayed engagement from reverse to drive when first starting out, especially on colder mornings. (That was a lot of fun backing out onto the busy street in the morning, and the hard slam into drive and tire squeal added some drama that really impressed my wife so much that she encouraged me to trade it for a 2010.) Different transmission, and I didn't address the issue, so I cannot help you much, but I did want to let you know that I experienced something like what your Dad has. I still pucker a bit thinking about it.

:sad:

Mark, You are right. I did the complete fluid exchange (12+) quarts. In my opinion, dropping only the pan/filter leaves 2/3 of the old fluid in the trans and does not satisfy my meticulous mechanical nature.

I disconnected the return trans cooling line. Given your situation, I would also have all the TSB's and software updates done. The full flush/filter that I did eliminate the harshness and hesitation from park to reverse and drive.

I had no issues with the drain plug.

ToddZ- Haha! I didn't even think about removing that entire plug to drain. It didn't even cross my mind. I was just thinking and going to do it the old school way. Remove a few bolts and play slip and slide in my garage the rest of the day:)

Gavin- Thanks buddy. The harshness is an understatement. Its like getting in an accident.

Steve- I am meticulous as well. But, he bought it used with 79K. No maintenance history. At that time, I debated whether to tell him to get a full flush or even a pan drop done at all. He took it to a local garage and had them do plugs,wires,trans pan drop...Come to think about it, it was a very shady garage at the time. So, it may not have been done at all. Or, probably has some generic fluid in there. It definitely doesn't have Motorcraft wires. Anyway with that being said, I'd be afraid to flush it now with 120k+.

I'll report back in a few weeks when I get the job done and he takes it to the dealer for the greatest and latest software update. Whatever was the last one they did for these. Guessing they probably don't update these any longer. But it hasn't been to the dealer in at least 4+ years.

Off topic: I should have got it done after I replaced his Radiator. I had heard about an update for a cooling fan strategy. Just plain forgot. Even more off topic: 20psi cap. What the hel..

Thanks again fellas

Mark,

We did a pan drop and drain plug on, oldtimers' '07 6speed. We measured how much we dumped.

We put a long peice of 1/2" garden hose on a funnel. Slowly poured in the same amount. We drove it until the trans was hot. Then while idling in park. Pulled the plug and measuring stick. Had to add about 1/2 a qaurt. He has done 2 dumps and measured refills since. The drain plug made it easy.

He has put thousands of miles on it since. Has no problems.

The thing is. If you dont want to do the flush. There is a way to fluid service the gen2 6speed. Others on this board said, you cant. Not true, you can.

Be sure to measure the pan depth and the drop on the valve body. As so the drain plug has room. I think we installed his drain plug slightly forward and offset of pan center. Best to measure.

BTW, stick to motorcraft fluid for the trans'......

The V6 and V8 have 2 completely different transmissions and 2 different service procedures.....

Todd Z

Todd,

My last post is refering to the V8 trans...Old timers '07....

Earlier I was refering to the V6

I know about the differences. Even the difference in the gen1 and gen2, 5r55e.

BTW, do want to sell your gen1 oem 4wd trans pan. I would like to have the deeper sump. As so I can install the drain plug in the middle. It is not important enough to splurge the $$$$$ for the alluminum pan, you have on your '03. Torrie gave me a price of $57 for new. Been checking shops around here for used, none to be found. It is more of an OCD thing, for me.......LOL

Otherwise I would splurge, also for a temp gauge. Not needed with the oem tq-convertor, IMO...

Thanks

Just finished the job. WHAT A MESS!

Re-used the gasket without issue. Took just over 5qts. I didn't bother messing with the drain nut. Just did the 'ol tilt-n-splash. Did it all without jacking up the truck. I don't know why. I guess I don't like being completely under a vehicle. Plus, I was home alone. (except for the mouse in the frame rail keeping me company) Minimal filings on the magnet. Filter was a bit coated though. Gently wiped the solenoid pack and removed the bulk head connector so I could put some dielectric grease on the o-rings (A/C drips right onto the connector, I believe there is a shield from Ford you can get).

Anyway, all went well. Re-set the pcm completely. Re-learned idle values and shift points.

Told him to drive it normally for a week and we'll go from there. Next stop will be re-flash.

Thanks Guys:supercool: Keep on Trac'n!

...a little bit of exciting news. I told him after we try everything(re-flash, solenoid pack, and/or whatever Ford suggests) maybe he should think about trading it in soon before the tranny gives. He said "well, don't you want to "inherent it"? :grin:(he gave me his old accord years ago when my blazers tranny went) I said jokingly, "why would I want a truck with a tranny that could give way, just like the accord that you gave me did?"($1800 tranny rebuild then the motor lost compression after a year-220k) He said he would just get a new tranny from Ford if it needed it, better than a car payment and you've taken such good care of it" :grin: well shucks. I'll take it! Not sure how much my Gen1 is going to last. I've got the timing chain rattle in the rear of the block-already replaced rear tensioner:( 178k

Ha. Just got a text from the old man. "Jesus, what magic did you do to the truck? It shifts beautifully with no clunking" So, so far so good. Time will tell though.

Its amazing what a little service can do..

Todd Z