5.0L Pushrod V8, or 4.6L Modular V8 Mustang?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
A while back a posted on here about wanting to get a Mustang. OK, this bug is still gnawing at me... I originally wanted nothing but a S197 Mustang. I don't want another payment, so this is pretty much not going to happen. So I've been looking around at SN95 'Stangs, and have found a couple of possibilities that I could pick up for under $4000 as a project car. I found both cars on Craig's list, and they're in my local area. I haven't seen either in person yet, just been corresponding with the sellers via e-mail.

Both are Red GT convertibles, a '95 and a '96.

'95 Red GT convertible:

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

'96 Red GT convertible:

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Both have some flaws, but nothing major. the '95's bumpers need a little finishing work, and the '96 has a few scratches on the body and the driver's seat upholstery needs replaced.

I like the look of the vertical tail lights on the '96, they're more in line with "traditional" Mustang styling. However, my wife also brought up the concern that the white interior of the '96 would be a b!+ch to keep clean, which was a very good point. That, and the fact that the '95 has fairly new tires and brakes, and the tranny fluid was recently flushed has me leaning more and more towards the '95. And I could always retrofit '96-'98 tail lights to the '95. He's asking $4000, but I'm going to shoot for between $3000-$3500 and see what he does.

The only other major difference that I'm unsure of is the 5.0L V8 in the '95 vs. the 4.6L 2V Modular V8 in the '96. What are the pros/cons of these two engines?

Opinions/feedback on these cars would be appreciated.:)

Both seem to be pretty good deals..... I've done alot of work on mustangs, mostly fox bodies. I use to buy 4 cyl coupe and convert them to 5.0.

The 5.0 has proven itself true and true... it is a great engine and you can do alot with it. The 4.6 has truned out to be a good engine also.. the only con that I can see on your choice is that 96 was the first year of the 4.6 in a mustang. The corbra V3 was awsome, but the V2 had some issues when it first hit the streets. Big one was power... it had less power then was origanlly rated for. The good thing is that now there is a large amount of aftermarket parts out there to help compared to when it first came out.

Also depending as to what use you are use this for the convertable model is the heaviest out of all mustang models due to extra structuring place to make up for it being a convertable.

Some sites you might want to check out for parts: Mustangs Unlimited, Holcomb Motorsports, Late Model Restoration;):D

The 5.0L are more easily to mod. The 95 has better looking interior with the tan and would be easier to maintain. Also you can get the taillight assembly from a 1996 and fit it on a 1995. They are all over EBay. I had a friend do this with his '95. The only problem I see now with both cars is that they are Automatics....:wacko:

TrainTrac, having owned and driven both 5.0L and 4.6L equipted Mustangs they are top notch engines. Having to pick which power to choose given the year model of the stang, I would pick the 95 Mustang. Having said that, the 5.0 is easy to work on and plenty of performance parts you can add later. Looking at the pictures of the 96 stang with white top and interior it would add little efforts to your cleaning detail. I like the the sadlle interior and top color combination look of the 95 stang. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The last Mustang I owned was an '86 GT 5.0L, so I'm familiar with that engine and it's ease of modification. That's another reason I'm leaning towards the '95. The extra weight of the convertible isn't a concern, because a convertible Mustang is what I want. And as for the automatic transmission: Maybe I'm getting old, 'cause I just don't want to mess with a stick anymore, so all I've looked for are automatic-equipped cars.

If I buy the '95, I'd be modding it with easy bolt-on things like intake, exhaust, TB, etc. for a little more power.

Can always add a shift kit to the auto. Not quite a bolt-on but I can't imagine youtube doesn't have a bunch of how to's on it. Never owned and auto but I've ridden in some with shift kits and they can be fun as well.

I would go with the '95/5.0L. It will be easier to mod the motor. Performance parts are cheaper.

If I was to buy a S197 with the 4.6L. I would buy a '99 and up. They made a big change in the heads and cams in '99.

I have a 95 GT, it isn't as easy as you think to mod. 94-95 are the only two years the 5.0L was in the SN95 body. Therefore there are a lot of 94-95 specific parts. The intake, front accessories, waterpump, timing cover, transmission, driveshift, etc. The 94-95 specific parts are for the most part more expensive than the regular 5.0L parts. Are there ways around modifying the car, yes, but it can get frustrating wondering what will or will not fit (if you want to keep it stock looking). I've done it and I built a 331 stroker for mine.

I like my 94-95 tail lights, again, it's only a 2 year run. If you upgrade to 96+ tail lights you need to get the harness with them. Replacement tails for 94-95's are getting very expensive and hard to find.

As for the 96, it is the first year the 4.6L was put in the SN95, so, you get the first year bugs. The 4.6L has been in other Fords for few years prior.

Which one would I buy, the 95, I'm imparcial to them and thier aren't many around now-a-days. A few people treat them like a Mustang II....:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey- it's NOT a 5.0. It is actually a 4.9.

Ford lies in its literature to try to compete with the real 5.0 in the Chevy Camaro.

This still makes me mad...:angry:

As long as the engine internals are still in good shape, the most I would probably do as far as performance mods go would be simple bolt-ons like intake, exhaust, TB, ignition, etc. I don't want to really go hog-wild with mods, just build a car that's fun to take cruising with my family and occasionally show.

If I want to get really serious about performance enhancements, there's a nationally-renowned shop here in my local area to whom I'd go for more involved mods.

Latest posts