5.0 Swap is officially complete!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Long

Reaction score
Well, due to work and various other projects around the house it took a lot longer than planned, but the 5.0 V8 swap is now officially complete in my 2001 Sport Trac! :banana: For anyone that missed the original thread regarding my plans for the swap, I used a 2000 Explorer XLT 2WD that was my daily driver and swapped the drivetrain into a 2001 Sport Trac 2wd (Job 2) that had a blown motor.

I just got back from having the A/C recharged and everything now works 100%, no check engine lights, and only a very knowledgeable car person would ever be able to tell that the truck didn't come from the factory this way. The truck runs great, and the 4.10 gears are a nice improvement over the 3.55 gears that were in the 2000 Explorer that I used as my donor. I had PATS turned off in my tune by Torrie, but I may pull the PATS components from the donor and wire them in eventually, but I'm not honestly sure it's worth dealing with.

As for the parts required for the swap, here's a list of what I used and/or modifications that were required:

1) Motor/transmission, all front drive accessories & their wiring harnesses

2) ECU

3) Rubber motor/trans mounts (I replaced with new parts while I was in there)

4) Transmission lines

5) Power steering cooler & lines (the ST cooler sits too high on the crossmember)

6) Heater & radiator hoses

7) Throttle cable

8) Cruise control module

9) Battery/alternator cable ends & fusible links from 4.0 were spliced onto 5.0 harness

10) ABS module

11) G-force sensor from a 4WD Explorer was wired into the ABS module for speedometer signal

12) Driveshaft from a 1998 F150 extended cab was shortened to 66.5" (center to center of u-joint), as the 4.0 shaft with the 5.0 slip yoke only engaged the output of the trans by about 2", original had about 3.5" of engagement

13) 5.0 exhaust downpipes

14) 42 pin connector harness above the engine was lengthened about 18" by cutting one from a junkyard truck and splicing it onto the end of the Sport Trac harness (LOTS of soldering!) as well as a few other wiring changes that I'll detail later

15) A/C lines

That's pretty much everything I can think of right now, and I'm working on putting together a spreadsheet of the wiring changes that I made, both for anyone who needs help and for my own reference later should there ever be a problem. I'm working on cleaning up the outside of the truck now, as it's been sitting for about 9 months, so I'll get some pictures up in the next few days once it's presentable and a few of the goodies that are on order are installed. :grin:

Also, now that the motor swap is done, I'll be starting in on the suspension and Prothane body mounts that arrived yesterday, as the body has 193,000 miles on it and the mounts are virtually non-existent. The 5.0 will also start getting some more work done, as it's mostly stock at the moment.

Oh, and last but definitely not least, a huge THANK YOU!! goes out to RangerSVT for all of the documentation he's done on the various forums of his V8 swaps, and for a few items he helped me out with on mine! :haveabeer:

Great! Knowing how Dan does things, this conversion has been done as well as possible. Ditto, can't wait for pics. :supercool:

I'm looking forward to being able to post some pics as well, because that means the truck will be cleaned up and looking a lot more presentable, lol!

Thanks, Steve, I try to do things right... and I must say, I'm quite proud of this one! There's only a few very minor things that I can honestly say I'm not totally happy with, and most of those will be corrected eventually as I go back and do more upgrades. I didn't bother really cleaning the engine up much right now, as the day I actually pulled and reinstalled the V8 I was working on quite a time crunch with my dad lending a hand, but the important thing for now was to get it all installed and working 100%. I don't think I'm going to stroke the motor, but it'll probably get pulled again and completely rebuilt with more performance in mind before too long. I just wanted to have all the bugs worked out before introducing any possible new problems that other upgrades could lead to.

I also look forward to some pictures and details!

It makes me wonder how hard this would be for the Gen2 base. When I see/hear a 5.0 Mustang I often think about the irony of a big motor being is such a small vehicle when my heavy truck only has a 4.0 (or the largest available was a 4.6).

Looking forward to seeing the pics too!!!

But guys, it is really a 4.9L motor. Ford uses imaginary math rounding to get to 5.0L. Chevy had and actual 5.0L motor though.

But guys, it is really a 4.9L motor. Ford uses imaginary math rounding to get to 5.0L. Chevy had and actual 5.0L motor though.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C6cxNR9ML8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:grin::cheeky:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. It's nice to see these getting completed more frequently. Looking forward to your update.

That's awesome !!!

COMPLETLY sucks we cant do this in NY and expect to pass inspection.....

DAM NY !!! the motor and computer used must be same or NEWER...... AHOLES !!

Enjoy it man,,, GREAT JOB !!

Yeah, anyone with strict emission laws is going to be very limited on what they can do, as they're only option would likely be a 2001 Explorer (which are rather hard to find) donor and a 2001 Sport Trac. It's really a ridiculous law, since there were no emissions changes in the 99-01 Explorer, nor on the 01-05 ST's to the best of my knowledge, so it would make no difference in the end product.

Well, it's far from perfect, but I finally got the Trac cleaned up enough to post some pics. Honestly, she's a 20 footer, and I wish she looked as good as this pic makes her appear, but she'll get there eventually. I'll try to get a better pic tomorrow before the sun starts to set, as you can't really see the black billet grilles that I installed today, but they're there. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling the radiator shroud that has my electric fan mounted in it, but it's on the to-do list, and I added a pic just to show how much room is still left in front of the motor. Enjoy!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Oh, and please ignore all the leaves... it may have been 75 degrees here today, but the trees have definitely decided that it's fall and were constantly dumping leaves on me as I tried to wash the truck today.

Also, the second to last pic is of the G-Force sensor that had to be wired in to make the speedometer work. The pink writing on it is from the junkyard and is how they track the parts they sell. I sure wish I'd thought to have them write on the back of it, but I can probably scrape the paint pen off if I try.

...and just think, there are people that clain that the ST was built off the Sport chassis and it wouldn't fit a 302.

Such fools...

Good job, I am so jealous.

Tom

Thanks! Yeah, I seem to remember Richard L being one of those several years ago when I was going to do the swap with my original ST and Explorer who insisted that this swap would never work without major modifications... well, here's your proof that it does! :cheeky: :grin:

The Explorer Sports were no different either though and this swap can be done in them just as easily, and has probably been done more times than in the ST. They all share the exact same front suspension, frames and engine bays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it can be done with 4wd trucks as well, you'll just want to find an AWD Explorer as your donor, since you have to use the V8 transmission anyway. The AWD Explorer will have a 4R70W transmission and AWD transfer case. If you want selectable 4WD rather than full-time AWD, then you can swap just the transfer case for a different one, possibly a 4406, but I'm not 100% sure on that, as I've always favored 2WD trucks.

Latest posts