4x4 Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all

Ive got a problem with my trac. Everytime i put it in 4 wheel drive it sticks and gives me a stuttering sound and does not drive. Last thurs i had to put it in the trac in reverse and then in drive again to make it go. I sincerely hope it is not a very serious problem..:(

Thanks for ure comments

Sounds like something isn't "meshing" right in the transfer. I haven't done much research on the drivetrain but hopefully someone can get you in the right direction but it sounds like the locking pin isn't lining up right to actuate the 4x4. I nkow GM had one on thier late 80's early 90's vehicles that were done by an air valve that locked it in and when it got old you would have to sit and wait for it to lock. Which could be awhile when it was cold out. ot exactly sure what the set-up is on our ST yet.;)

EXACTLY, what are the conditions when you engage the four wheel drive - on what surface, at what speed???

I'm going to bet it was on solid ground and the transfer case, not being a differentiating transfer case, is binding (which is why going in the opposite direction allows movement - it relieves the binding).