4x4 control module

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wesley V

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 4x4 control module a dealer-only item or if any retailers stock them. If they are only dealer-only, how much can I expect to pay? I already wrote to Rusty a couple of times last week, but so far got no response.

Reason being is that I changed my battery and now the 4wd hi/lo lights doesn't work anf nothing happens when I flick the switch...I'm assuming its the control module from what I'm reading on the site so far, any suggestions?

Wes, I would think it is a dealer item. Just not enough demand for the after-market community.

I would check your fuses first. If the module does not have power your lights will not either...

Thanks Coastiejoe,

I checked all of my fuses and it looks like everything checks out okay. I also checked both of the connectors that snap into the module and I've located power in one of those too. I'm believing that it might be the module but I'm hesitant to buy one from the dealer because they are stating that there is no-return policy for the module because its considered an electric item.

The parts guy then suggested that the only way to make sure that I get one that works is to have them service the car. I'm trying to avoid the $75/hr. to tell me that it might be the control module and then have them charge another $200 for the parts and installation.

many thanks

btw has anyone bought this from rusty and if so, do you remember his return policy? Is he still a sponser here?

Get a repair manual. There has to be a way you can check the switch to see if it is operating then check the connector to the servo to see if it is getting power.

R&R is not the best way to fix a problem.

Tom

I have heard that the switch in the dash has caused some people problems.

I had my 4wd module changed this winter just before the big snow storm (in NYC). It was under extended warranty so I only had a $50 deductable. Occasional after that in very cold weather I had trouble getting it to click into 4WH. No problems in warmer weather.

I had this same issue when I disconnected my batter to install my driving lights.When I reconnected everything I had no 4wd.

After reading all the posts about failing 4wd modules I concluded there must be something to the theory that the module relay must try and activate the 4wd unitl it burns out.

I bought the module from a local dealer and paid about $180 if I recall. Installed it in the dealer parking lot and had my 4wd back.

I wrote to Ford about this issue and got their typical we don't care response. The parts man at the dealer said they sell a lot of these modules. In all likely hood Ford knows there is some issue with this part but will not do anything until a recall investigation or class action suit is filed.

I am not holding my breath on either one....

"Built Ford Tough", unless your battery goes dead then you lose 4wd....

I think there has to be something different going on here....

I have disconnected my battery almost 20 times now and re connected it with no issues with my 4wd.... I think people are not disconnecting or reconnecting it properly and causing the issue.... They are "shocking' the system some how...

If you need to get it, and want a new one, Let me know, I can check my parts guy and see what I can get it for... Which is cheeper than most places..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I left the key on overnight and discharged the battery, after recharging the battery and starting the engine the 4low light flicker then went out. It was stuck in 4 Low. $200 for the module sounds about what I paid several months ago. Luckily it was very apparent that it was in 4 low, 4 high might have been harder to detect, it sure isn't good to drive around on the pavement in 4 wheel drive. The parts and service guys at the dealer never heard of this problem when I asked about it.

For more info check out "Stuck in 4wdLow Bummer " thread posted several months ago. Sorry I don't know how to make a link to it.

Thanks for all the help guys, now I'm a little more confused on what the problem might be; a possible switch and/or module or maybe both. I'm thinking if I disconnected/ reconnected the battery correctly; I normally take the negative off first and then put on last, but I really can't remember anymore.

I don't really want to gamble on what the problem might be and buy a bunch of stuff that I might not need nor be able to return. So, I'm deciding on take the trac to a nearby mechanic. My neighbor has recommended a nearby mechanic, whose supposedly honest and reliable, so maybe I'll talk to hiim first and see what he has to say.

I'll keep everyone posted on what the problem might be.

Thanks again for everything.

wes

Same thing happened to me, lights left on all day accidentally...opened door to hear a constant clicking noise. Was able to jump and start but no more 4wd. If your 4wd lights don't "prove out" when you first turn the key then your module is toast. It's a 10 minute fix.

FYI, I got it for cost from a mechanic friend....$109.00, big mark up on parts!

Tim

you will have to replace the 4x4 control moduale located rt side kick panel. it controls the 4x4 it is a comman problem. the Ford replacement part number is 1L5z-7E53-AC the new part will have -AE at the end, @ ford it cost $176. or if you get a discount $148.

i had same problem being intermittent then it just quit, the ford parts guy told me that they been seeing this problem with expoloers and ranger 4x4 and they keep this moduale on hand.

Latest posts