4wd update.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well, i took it back into the dealer today...i took the guy for a ride, and the first time he tried the 4wd, it wouldnt work...that was good- he took it in and hooked it up to the computer, threw some codes-not cel codes, but the codes that only for computers can pick up...after about 3 hours, they had it narrowed down to 2 wires gone bad in the wiring harness that goes from the 4wd module to the shift motor. I have to take it back in tomorrow for them to fix...they figure another 1.5 hours because they have to yank the driver seat out...he said he will just replace the wires, so it should be relativiely cheap except for the labor...The only good part about today is that they only charged me $65 for one hour labor...not the 3 they had it in for...has anyone heard of this harness going bad? even the tech said that he would first guess the motor if not the module, but no...

Thanks

Andy

They should have not charged you any thing since it was diagnosed wrong the first time, But if they fix it for good, then it is ok...

Todd Z

Todd, they performed a diagnostic check on the 4wd module, and everything that they touched involving that, for an hour-which was not chargeable, but once it was made known that the 4wd module was fine, then they alerted me that i would now have to pay for them to go any further...i agreed, and they took 2 hours, but then only charged for one....

I really REALLY REALLY hope this is the last problem i have for a long time! i'm digging into my college money for this fix already...

Thanks again for the help guys,

Andy

Gotcha, All I am saying is maybe it was not the module the first time and it was the wiring.. thats all I am saying.. The only good thing this time is they said it was the wires, IF not they can eat that...

Todd Z

Todd,

Good point, i never really thought about that...they coulda just thrown a new module in as a fix at the time...

Tim, Thanks-i hope this is it for the trac now, and im gonna stay in school so i can make money and buy a new trac or silverado 1500...possibly anew trac in about 3 years though...i need it to make it that long!

Thanks guys

Andy

Well, the dealer just called me and said its now narrowed down to a wire running from the 4wd switch on the dash to the module. They keep trying to say its my head unit...but i keep telling them that it has nothing to do with it, and its been in there over a year...They quoted me another 1-2 hours to tear apart the dash and find the wire, then splice new wires in...

I told them to go ahead for that...but i dont want any more than 2 hours i told them now...

What could have caused the wire to burnout behind the dash???

Thanks

Andy

Latest posts